A GEORGE III EIGHT-DAY TAVERN CLOCK
A GEORGE III EIGHT-DAY TAVERN CLOCK

CIRCA 1760

細節
A GEORGE III EIGHT-DAY TAVERN CLOCK
CIRCA 1760
CASE: with label This clock which dates from 1760, stood for about 120 years in the White Hart Inn, Ampthill, Beds. It was acquired by Sir Albert Richardson for the Avenue House Collection in 1920., also with pencil inscription From Houghton House Ampthill Bought for the Marquis of Tavistock 1765 Bought by A.E.R in Ampthill for Avenue House 1927, redecorated DIAL: circular painted dial with counter-poised minute hand MOVEMENT: the eight-day single-train timepiece movement with tapered plates, four knopped pillars and recoil anchor escapement, pendulum and weights
60½ in. (154 cm.) high; 29½ in. (75 cm.) diameter; 7½ in. (19 cm.) deep
來源
Almost certainly Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock (1739-1767), Houghton House, Bedfordshire, 1765.
The White Hart Inn, Ampthill from where acquired circa 1927.

榮譽呈獻

Alexandra Cruden
Alexandra Cruden

查閱狀況報告或聯絡我們查詢更多拍品資料

登入
瀏覽狀況報告

拍品專文

This clock was rescued by Professor Sir Albert Richardson in 1926 when it was being turned out of the White Hart Inn, Ampthill. According to the inscription it had been there for 120 years before which it had been in the possession Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock at Houghton House, which lies just to the north of Ampthill. Houghton passed in 1767 to his son, also Francis Russell, who would become the 5th Duke of Bedford, and who stripped Houghton of its roof leaving it to decay. Houghton, thought to be the inspiration for House Beautiful in John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, was one of Professor Richardson's early conservation projects and it was his efforts which eventually saved this magnificent structure from demolition by an unsympathetic local farmer.

更多來自 艾伯特‧理查森爵士珍藏

查看全部
查看全部