This extraordinary chandelier was one of a limited number produced for the centrepiece of the Baltic Exchange, the Exchange Hall. The Baltic Exchange was, and remains today, central to the global maritime marketplace, being an international community of over 550 members, encompassing the majority of world shipping interests. These chandeliers were designed for their new building in the City of London at 30 St Mary Axe which was designed by Smith and Wimble and completed by George Trollope & Sons in 1903. The hall survived intact and fully functioning until bomb damage in 1992 extensively damaged the fabric of the building, to such an extent that it was demolished, making way for Norman Foster and Arup engineers' contemporary building commonly known as the 'Gherkin'. Imposing in scale and concept, the maritime setting of the chandelier is articulated in its Art Nouveau influenced design.