Bantry House in County Cork, positioned on the southern shore of Bantry Bay has been the home of the White family and the Earls of Bantry since circa 1765. The 1st Earl (1767-1851), in about 1816 preferred to live at his shooting lodge, styled as a cottage orné in nearby Glengariff. After the death of his wife in 1835 he lived there permanently. It was around this time that Bantry House was made over to his eldest son, Viscount Berehaven (1800-1868), later 2nd Earl of Bantry.
Viscount Berehaven was a collector, who travelled much of Europe and transformed Bantry House to what is seen today. He furnished the house with great opulence, which included such an outstanding array of items that Bantry House became known as ‘the Wallace Collection of Ireland’. The alterations to the house took place in the 1840s, and it is therefore possible that this table was acquired by either the 1st or 2nd Earl.