AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET
AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET
AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET
AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET
3 More
AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET

DATED AUGUST 1690

Details
AN OTTOMAN TURKISH TORTOISESHELL, BONE AND MOTHER-OF-PEARL INLAID WALNUT TABLE CABINET
DATED AUGUST 1690
Elaborately inlaid to all sides with tessellated designs and geometric borders, fitted with eight small drawers, previously with detachable front cover, one drawer inscribed in black ink 'This cabinet I brought out of Turkey,/it was made there, August 1690, Eliz: Trumbull', the carcase with further ink markings and the drawers with later locating pencil inscriptions, minor losses
9 ¼ in. (23.5 cm.) high; 16 ¼ in. (41 cm.) wide; 9 in. (22 cm.) deep
Provenance
Acquired by Elizabeth Trumbull, August 1690 (according to inscription) and by descent in the Sandys and Hill families at Ombersley Court.
Literature
A. Oswald, 'Ombersley Court, Worcestershire - II', Country Life, 9 January 1953, p. 96, pl. 5.

Brought to you by

Adrian Hume-Sayer
Adrian Hume-Sayer Director, Specialist

Lot Essay

The earliest appearance of tortoiseshell in Ottoman art appears to be on a bookbinding dated circa 1560 and was widely used after the third quarter of the 16th century (E. Atil, The Age of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent, exhibition catalogue, Washington, 1987, cat. 49a). The combination of tortoiseshell with mother-of-pearl became extremely popular by 1600. A similar scribe's cabinet on bracket feet is in the Louvre (L'Art du livre arabe, exhibition catalogue, Paris, 2002, cat. 53, p. 82).
This table cabinet or casket was previously photographed with a detachable fall front, now sadly lost. That fall front was inlaid to the inside with the star of David. The late Lord Sandys recorded that Kathleen Stolar, a scholar, visiting with the Georgian Group in 1966, suggested that it 'almost certainly belonged to a Jewish family [originally], as the symbol would be unlikely to be used by anyone else...', however, it seems likely that the cabinet was new when acquired, so it may be that infact it was either made by a Jewish craftsman or intended for the Jewish market. Lord Sandys also noted that the inscription revealing the route by which this cabinet made its way to England in 1690 was found by the famed furniture historian Arthur Negus during a visit to Ombersley Court in 1962.

More from Ombersley Court: The Collection of Lord and Lady Sandys

View All
View All