James Lawson Stewart (fl.1883-1889)

The Prospect of Whitby at Limehouse on the Thames

Details
James Lawson Stewart (fl.1883-1889)
The Prospect of Whitby at Limehouse on the Thames
signed with monogram and dated '91'
pencil and watercolour heightened with bodycolour
19 x 14in. (48.5 x 36cm.)

Lot Essay

One of the oldest public houses in London, it was built in 1520 and was originally known as the Devil's Tavern. In 1777 the name was changed to the Prospect of Whitby after a ship called the "Prospect", which was registered there. Famous past patrons have included Samuel Pepys, Charles Dickens, James Abbott McNeill Whistler and J.M.W. Turner.

More from MARITIME

View All
View All