A BRASS NATURAL TRUMPET
Attributed to Philipp Schller
Engraved 'Macht/Philipp/Schller/In/Mnchen' on the garland decorated with martial trophies in high relief between stylised baskets of flowers among scrolling acanthus, the boss set with a martial trophy with a grotesque mask, the joins covered by barley twist ferrules, turned mouthpiece, with later silk cord and tassels
25.7/8 in. (65.7 cm.) long overall
Rothschild inv. no. AR1913.
J. Philipp Schller worked in Munich from before 1742 to after 1780 and is known to have supplied trumpets to the Munich court.