Mauretania, built by Cammell Laird of Birkenhead, was launched on the 28th July 1938 with her maiden voyage completed the next May. Registered at 35,738 tons gross, she measured 772 feet with a beam of 89½ feet, despite her six steam turbines she could only reach a speed of 23 knots. She carried accommodation for 440 cabin-class, 450 tourist-class and 470 third-class passengers. During the early part of the Second World War she was used to transport troops between Australia and Egypt, until 1942 when she returned to the North Atlantic. Immediately after the war she returned to the Southampton-New York route. In 1962 she was repainted light green and used for cruises from New York to the Mediterranean until broken up at Inverkeithing in 1965.