This grand piano is recorded as no. 76266 in the Registre de Fabrication for Gaveau on 17 October 1924, for an unknown client referred to as ‘Le Matin’. This Parisian firm of piano and harpsichord makers was founded by Joseph Gaveau (d. 1803) in 1847, initially from a small shop at the rue des Vinaigriers, and later the workshop and offices were transferred to the rue Servan. Following the succession of Gaveau’s son Etienne as director of the firm, a large factory was constructed at Fontenay-sous-Bois. In 1907, a new concert hall, Salle Gaveau in the rue la Boëtie was opened, emulating the example of other leading piano-makers, in particular their great rival Pleyel, and the firm moved to offices in this street from 1908.