Browse Lots

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A GEORGE III SATINWOOD AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more THE PROPERTY OF A NOBLEMAN (LOTS 77-82)
A GEORGE III SATINWOOD AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE

Details
A GEORGE III SATINWOOD AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE
The circular tulipwood-crossbanded top with central octagonal panel centred by a sunflower enclosed by a wavy wengewood band issuing ribbon-tied swags, above four mahogany-lined hinged drawers with shaped aprons, on turned tapering legs headed by burr-yew mahogany panels, joined by an undertier with lacewood panel, with brass caps and castors, the castors stamped 'COPES/PATENT/STRONG', probably originally without handles
29¼ in. (74 cm.) high; 28 in. (71 cm.) diameter
Provenance
Possibly supplied to William Berners, Woolverstone Hall, Suffolk.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis

Lot Essay

The golden table top is inlaid with a poetic trophy comprised of an 'Apollo' sunflowered octagon compartment derived from the sun deity's temple illustrated in Robert Wood's, Ruins of Palmyra, 1753. Apollo's triumphal role as poetry deity is evoked by laurel sprigs suspended from a beribboned veil festooned from a richly striated ribbon encircling the central medallion. The work-table is fitted with a circular tablet, with spring release concealing a well compartment, probably for needlework.

The table, with its columnar and hollowed-capital legs tied by stretcher-tray for a basket, corresponds to another 'Apollo' table that is inlaid with medallions celebrating the deity's role in leading the Seasons. Like the latter it is likely to have formed part of the original furnishings commissioned by William Berners following his building of Woolverstone Hall, Suffolk in 1776 (Frank Partridge, Inc. Exhibition, New York, 1957, and Y. Hackenbroch, English Furniture in the Irwin Untermeyer Collection, London, 1958, fig. 261; sold Christie's New York, 26 June 1982, lot 157).
;

More from Fine English Furniture

View All
View All