Lot Content

COVID-19 Important notice Read More
A GEORGE IV ORMOLU-MOUNTED BURR-YEW BOOKCASE

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
THE PROPERTY OF A LADY OF TITLE
A GEORGE IV ORMOLU-MOUNTED BURR-YEW BOOKCASE

POSSIBLY BY MARSH AND TATHAM

Details
A GEORGE IV ORMOLU-MOUNTED BURR-YEW BOOKCASE Possibly by Marsh and Tatham The rectangular top with three-quarter pierced gallery, above two pairs of glazed panelled doors, enclosing six adjustable shelves with ebonised reeled front edges, above two open sections with four adjustable shelves flanked by reeded inset cluster-columns headed by rosettes, on a plinth base, paper label to reverse inscribed in ink 'FitzGerald', reduced in heigth and depth 67 in. (170 cm.) high; 77½ in. (197 cm.) wide; 13 in. (33 cm.) deep
Provenance
The F.J. FitzGerald Will Trust, sold in these Rooms, 1 April 1976, lot 81 (£12,100 inc. premium) to the present owner.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

This bookcase was sold from the F.-J. FitzGerald Will Trust. Included in this property was a George III marquetry bureau, given to the late Eileen Theresa FitzGerald. A label on the bureau stated that it had belonged to her grandfather William Henry John, 11th Baron North (b. 1836) and it is possible that this bookcase formed part of the same collection.

The cabinet, with open and closed book-shelves topped by a wave-scrolled china-rail, is designed in the French antique or Pompeian manner introduced around 1800. Its veneer of marble-figured yew is ormolu-enriched with Egyptian reed-clustered pillars and palm flowers. Such pillars featured on a bookcase bearing the label of the Fleet Street cabinet-maker Robert Herring (d. 1839), a subscriber to Thomas Sheraton's 'Cabinet Encyclopaedia', 1803 (see C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, Leeds, 1996, p. 264). The latter bookcase has mounts that also feature on the Anglesey Desk, attributed to the court cabinet-makers Messrs Marsh and Tatham of Mount Street (sold by the Executors of the late Sir John Musker, in these Rooms, 8 July 1993 , lot 125). It is possible that the present cabinet was executed by Messrs Marsh and Tatham, as they supplied related bookcases in 1806 for George, Prince of Wales, later George IV, at Carlton House, and described them as 'Elegant Yew Tree bookcases inlaid with ebony ornaments decorated with bronze antique heads, rich ormolu ornaments [...]'. When they were moved to Windsor Castle in 1827 a number of alterations and enrichements were undertaken by Morel and Seddon (see H. Roberts, 'Metamorphoses in Wood', Apollo, July 1990, pp. 382-390; one of the bookcases belonged to the late Villiers David, Esq., sold in these Rooms, 21 November 1985, lot 96 (£148,500 inc. premium) and offered again anonymously, in these Rooms, 3 July 1997, lot 70)).

;

More From Important English Furniture and Carpets

View All
View All