A HELLENISTIC MARBLE HEAD OF DIONYSOS
CIRCA 3RD-1ST CENTURY B.C.
Wearing a band across the forehead and a fillet in the hair above, with hair drawn back and tied at nape of neck, 4 in. (10.2 cm.) high; and a group of antiquities including a fragmentary terracotta doll, hair bound high on head, remaining arm and leg now separate and pierced for attachment to body, circa 4th Century B.C., 4¼ in. (10.7 cm.) high; a terracotta figure of Aphrodite, clasping drapery around her body, head missing, dolphin(?) at her side, circa 3rd Century B.C., 5½ in. (14 cm.) high; a marble hand, 6¼ in. (15.8 cm.) long; a black glazed pottery glaux, 4th Century B.C., 3½ in. (9 cm.) high; a Corinthian pottery aryballos, with faint painted decoration of two owls, 2½ in. (6.5 cm.) high; and a Corinthian pottery skyphos, with faint painted decoration of frieze of birds, 6¼ in. (16 cm.) diam. excl. handles, both 6th Century B.C.(a lot)
Collection of Vice Admiral Marie-Charles-Adalbert Le Barbier de Tinan (1803-1876), and thence by descent to the present owner. Le Barbier de Tinan, having been promoted to Rear Admiral in 1851, was given the command of the Levant Station on the outbreak of the Crimean war. He took part in the landing of French forces in Gallipoli, in the blockade of Greek ports and commanded the French expeditionary force that landed in Piraeus. Whilst in Piraeus for some months, he put his men to work creating a garden, in the process uncovering quantities of ancient fragments and some entire objects.