This impressive shell-encrusted vessel was first patented by Pinder, Bourne & Co on the 29th of May 1879 (parcel no. 12). The firm takes its name from the partnership formed by Thomas Shadford Pinder and Joseph Harvey Bourne of the Nile Street Works, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent. Shortly after the death of Pinder and after a legal dispute, Henry Doulton purchased the firm and works in 1878. The title Pinder, Bourne & Co. was maintained until 1882 when it became Doulton & Co. Ltd.