Overview

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
Details
A PAIR OF EMPIRE ORMOLU FOUR-LIGHT CANDELABRA
CIRCA 1810
Each with a flambeau finial on a trumpet-form central stem issuing scroll arms cast with Egyptian female masks and urn nozzles, centred by a palmette and star, on a circular base cast with anthemion and classical urns, stamped to the base ' L.P.' with a crown and 'N' and with inventory number '23487'
18 ¼ in. (46.5 cm.) high; 8 ½ in. (21.5 cm.) diameter
Provenance
Almost certainly supplied to duc d'Orléans, later Louis Philippe of France for the Château de Neuilly.
Sale Room Notice
Please note the candelabra are Empire and not as stated in the printed catalogue.

Condition Report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

These superb ormolu candelabra, which display the Egyptian motifs so popular in the Empire period, were almost certainly part of a large commission ordered by the duc d’Orléans, later Louis Philippe of France (1773-1850) for The Château de Neuilly. The marks LP and N record that these candelabra were part of the inventory at the château.
The Château de Neuilly was originally built for Marc Pierre de Voyer d’Argenson, Secretary of State to Louis XV in the 1750s. Early in the 19th Century it belonged to Joachim Murat, one of Napoleon’s most distinguished generals and who subsequently married Napoleon’s youngest sister Caroline. When Murat was made King of Naples in 1808, the Château de Neuilly, together with its contents, passed on to his sister-in-law Pauline, Princess Borghese. When Louis Philippe acquired the château in 1819, he appointed Henri Antione Jacques as head gardener and commissioned Pierre-François-Léonard Fontaine to enlarge the château. During the revolutions of 1848 the château was destroyed.
Other known identical pairs are recorded; a pair in the collections of Baron de Redé and of Baron Guy de Rothschild, sold Sotheby’s, Monaco, 26 May 1975, second day’s sale, lot 241 and bearing the inventory numbers 12426 and 12427, a pair sold anonymously at Christie’s, London, 21 May 1996, lot 252 and bearing the inventory numbers 23492 and 23488, and two pairs sold from the Collection of Mr & Mrs Stephen C. Hilbert, sold, Sotheby’s, New York, 24 May 2007, lots 21 and 22, and bearing the inventory numbers 23498, 23488 and 23492.

More from The Collections of Principessa Ismene Chigi Della Rovere and A Noble Genoese Family

View All
View All