Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
THE PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN 
A pair of French ormolu-mounted foliate marquetry, brass, pewter and tortoiseshell inlaid and ebonised armoires

IN THE LOUIS XIV STYLE, AFTER THE MODEL BY ANDRÉ-CHARLES BOULLE, LATE 19TH CENTURY

Details
A pair of French ormolu-mounted foliate marquetry, brass, pewter and tortoiseshell inlaid and ebonised armoires
In the Louis XIV style, After the model by André-Charles Boulle, Late 19th Century
Each with stepped pediment above an overhanging cornice with dentil ornament, with a pair of doors below, each with three inset fielded panels, the upper and lower rectangular panels inlaid with cut-pewter and brass foliate scrolls, the larger central panel inlaid with a foliate marquetry of a flower-filled vase and two birds standing on a plinth with bold foliate festoons within a tortoiseshell ground, the sides each with a pair of small rectangular inlaid panels between a larger rosewood panel, the interior fitted with four adjustable shelves above two drawers, on plinth base with arched apron and with lion masks to the brackets, the reverse stamped I & II in numerous places, the right hand edge of each right hand door stamped 5159
60½in. (154cm.) wide; 86¼in. (219cm.) high; 22in. (66cm.) deep
Provenance
By repute: Kaiser Wilhelm, supplied by Maison Chambon.
To the present owner's family circa 1918 and thence by descent.

Lot Essay

The model for these armoires is inspired by that in the Louvre Museum, Paris and attributed to André-Charles Boulle (d. 1732), ébéniste to Louis XIV (see A. Pradere, French Furniture Makers, Paris, 1989, p. 97). They entered the Louvre Collection from the Mobilier National in 1870. Another, also attributed to Boulle is recorded in the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg.

A pair of late 19th Century armoires of this model, but with painted panels, was sold at Christie's, New York, 17 February 1995, lot 316.

The shape of the vase in this pair would seem to indicate the Louvre one as the source rather than that of the Hermitage.

Family tradition has it that these were supplied to Kaiser Wilhelm by Maison Chambon and were bought around 1918 by the father of the present owner.
;

More from Nineteenth Century Works of Art

View All
View All