These torcheres relate closely to a pair supplied to Nathaniel Curzon, 1st Lord Scarsdale, for Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. They stood in the Drawing Room of Kedleston until 1930 and are illustrated in A. Coleridege, Chippendale Furniture, 1968, plate 289. The Kedleston pair may have been supplied by Samuel Norman and James Whittle, carvers and gilders who made similar examples for Petworth House, Sussex, or by William Linnell, who supplied a large quantity of furniture for Lord Scarsdale's London house in Audley Square.
A virtually identical pair of torcheres appears in a photograph of the Drawing Room at Ditchley Park, Oxfordshire (C. Hussey, English Country Houses: Early Georgian 1715-1760, 1955, p. 70, pl. 94). Another similar pair from Warwick Castle was sold Christie's, London, 21 March 1968, lot 99.