Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PAIR OF GEORGE III SILVER SOUP-TUREENS, COVERS, STANDS AND LINERS
THE PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN 
A PAIR OF GEORGE III SILVER SOUP-TUREENS, COVERS, STANDS AND LINERS

MARK OF PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1807, RETAILED BY RUNDELL, BRIDGE AND RUNDELL

Details
A PAIR OF GEORGE III SILVER SOUP-TUREENS, COVERS, STANDS AND LINERS
MARK OF PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1807, RETAILED BY RUNDELL, BRIDGE AND RUNDELL
Each oval with gadrooned lower bodies, on foliage and shell-cast feet and with double stag-mask and reeded loop handles, with gadrooned rim, the detachable covers with heraldic and bead cast handles, the conforming stands with foliage and shell-heighted gadrooned borders and shell grips, each piece engraved twice with a coat-of-arms, the plain liners engraved with a crest, each marked under stand, near rim, on cover bezel, handle, beaded border and liner
the stands 21 in. (53 cm.) long
639 oz. 6 dwt. (19,833 gr.)
The arms are those of Cavendish with Compton in pretence for George Augustus Henry, later 1st Earl of Burlington (1754-1834), third son of William, 4th Duke of Devonshire (1720-1764) and his wife Lady Charlotte Elizabeth Boyle, (1731-1754), daughter and heiress of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington of the 1st creation and his wife Lady Elizabeth Compton, daughter of Charles Compton, 7th Earl of Northampton whom he married in 1782. (2)
Provenance
George Augustus Henry Cavendish (1754-1834), later crested 1st Earl of Burlington in 1831, third son of William, 4th Duke of Devonshire. Anonymous sale; Sotheby's, Los Angeles, 24-27 October 1977, lot 1505.
Literature
Sotheby's Art at Auction, 1978.
J. B. Hawkins, The Al-Tajir Collection of Silver and Gold, London, 1983, pp. 104-105.
The Glory of the Goldsmith, Magnificent Gold and Silver from the Al-Tajir Collection, 1989, p. 160.
Exhibited
London, Christie's, The Glory of the Goldsmith, Magnificent Gold and Silver from the Al-Tajir Collection, 1989, no. 122.

Brought to you by

Matilda Burn
Matilda Burn Administrator, European Ceramics

Lot Essay

George Augustus Henry Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington (1754-1834), known as Lord George Cavendish before 1831 when he was created Earl of Burlington of the second creation, the title having become extinct on the death of his maternal grandfather, known as the Architect Earl in 1753. Cavendish served in Parliament from 1775, sitting variously from Knaresborough, from 1775 to 1780; Derby from 1780 to 1797 and Derbyshire from 1797 to 1831 when he was raised to the peerage.

He married, in London on 27 February 1782, Lady Elizabeth Compton, daughter and heiress of Charles Compton, 7th Earl of Northampton. The couple together had eleven children, though only six survived to adulthood.

Perhaps his greatest legacy is Burlington Arcade, which he had built 'for the sale of jewellery and fancy articles of fashionable demand, for the gratification of the public' on property which had formerly been a garden next to Burlington House which Lord George had inherited. It is thought that he ordered it built to stop people from throwing rubbish over the wall of his house. Opening in 1819, Burlington Arcade was designed by the architect Samuel Ware and comprised a top light walkway with two story units on either side.

More from Centuries of Style: Silver, European Ceramics, Portrait Miniatures and Gold Boxes

View All
View All