A PAIR OF ITALIAN BRONZE CANDLESTICKS, 19th century

Details
A PAIR OF ITALIAN BRONZE CANDLESTICKS, 19th century

The flambeau sconces above circular drip pans with egg and dart borders, the tapering columns raised in releif with birds amidst foliage, surrounded by models of storks standing on rams' head masks intersected by swags, the trefoil altar pedestals decorated with anthemion and scroll motifs, on winged lion supports, the plinths with hairy paw feet
15¾in. (40cm) high (2)

Lot Essay

The prototype is the Farnese marble tripod candelabrum printed in R. Gargiulo, Racolta de Munimenti Pui Interessant Del Rl Museo Borbonico (sic) 1825, pl. 39,40A, to which flaming finials have been added in the manner of Thomas Hope's candelabrum, illustrated in T. Hope, Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1807. The candelabrum, which is now in the Museo Nazionale, Naples, was originally in the Farnese Collection and was moved to Naples by Charles III (King of Naples 1734 - 1759 and King of Spain 1759 - 1788)

An almsot identical pair was sold, Christie's King Street, from the property of the late Geoffry Bennison, 26 and 27 September 1985, lot 122.

A similar pair was sold at Christie's House Sale, Hawling Manor, Gloucestershire, 10 October 1988, lot 7.
;

More from Souvenirs of the Grand Tour

View All
View All