Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A pair of Napoleon III electroplated and cut glass tazze
THE PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE COLLECTOR (LOTS 470-471) In 1831, Charles Christofle (d. 1863) took over his brother-in-law's bijouterie-joaillerie 'Maison Calmette' and changed its name to 'Société Charles Christofle & Cie'. Christofle obtained the exclusive use of patents taken out by Elkington & Co. and Ruolz for the galvanic process known as argenterie electro-chimique. Pieces produced by this process were first exhibited at the 1844 Exposition des produits de l'industrie française in Paris. Cheaper to manufacture and more affordable to own, Christofle's wares won instant acclaim, rewarding the firm with a gold medal and its founder with the Légion d'Honneur. Shortly afterwards, Christofle was appointed Fournisseur officiel du Roi Louis-Philippe and, in 1855, Fournisseur de l'Empereur. The firm participated in all of the major International exhibitions during the second half of the 19th century, frequently winning medals.
A pair of Napoleon III electroplated and cut glass tazze

BY CHRISTOFLE & CIE., PARIS, THIRD QUARTER 19TH CENTURY

Details
A pair of Napoleon III electroplated and cut glass tazze
By Christofle & Cie., Paris, Third quarter 19th Century
Each shallow dish supported on a base modelled with two Bacchic putti, on beast monopodiae, the underside stamped CHRISTOFLE, one numbered 1188982, the other 1205441
9 1/8 in. (23.3 cm.) high; 9¼ in. (23.5 cm.) diameter (2)
;

More from 19th Century Furniture, Sculpture, Works of Art and Ceramics

View All
View All