search

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PAIR OF REGENCY BRASS-MOUNTED AND PARCEL-GILT ROSEWOOD SIDE CABINETS
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more THE PROPERTY OF A LADY OF TITLE (LOTS 187-188)
A PAIR OF REGENCY BRASS-MOUNTED AND PARCEL-GILT ROSEWOOD SIDE CABINETS

EARLY 19TH CENTURY, ALTERED

Details
A PAIR OF REGENCY BRASS-MOUNTED AND PARCEL-GILT ROSEWOOD SIDE CABINETS
Early 19th century, altered
Each with incurved shaped rectangular top above a concave-shaped glazed door backed with yellow pleated silk and enclosing a shelf, between leaf-wrapped columns, on a plinth base, originally concave cabinets and the sides consequently reveneered
36 in. (91.5 cm.) high; 26¼ in. (66.5 cm.) wide; 13 in. (33 cm.) deep (2)
Provenance
Anonymous sale, in these Rooms, 22 March 1979, lot 35.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis

Lot Essay

The commodes, with hollowed corners displaying palm-flowered Pompeian colonnettes, relate to a 'Drawing Room Commode' pattern executed in the French antique or 'classic' fashion and illustrated, alongside antique candelabri in the King of Naples' collection, in G. Smith's Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1808 (pls. 117 and 112). While the colonnette pattern derives from a bronze candelabrum invented around 1800 by Thomas Hope (d.1842) and illustrated in his Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1807 (pl. XXII, no. 4). Similar colonnettes feature on a pair of rosewood bookcases supplied in 1831 for the 1st Duke of Wellington's Apsley House, London (M. Jourdain, Regency Furniture, London, rev. ed., 1965, fig. 191).
;

More from Fine English Furniture

View All
View All