A PAIR OF TORCHRES IN THE FORM OF PATINATED PLASTER CLASSICAL FEMALE FIGURES
A PAIR OF TORCHRES IN THE FORM OF PATINATED PLASTER CLASSICAL FEMALE FIGURES

AFTER HUMPHREY HOPPER, 19TH CENTURY

Details
A PAIR OF TORCHRES IN THE FORM OF PATINATED PLASTER CLASSICAL FEMALE FIGURES
After Humphrey Hopper, 19th Century
Each depicted standing and with one arm aloft holding a glass lantern; each on an intergrally cast plinth and a modern polychrome panelled wooden pedestal.
57 and 59 in. (147 and 150.5 cm.) high, the figures
32 in. (81.9 cm.) high, the pedestals (2)
Literature
SOMPARATIVE LITERATURE:
R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, London, rev. ed. 1964, p. 209

Lot Essay

Humphrey Hopper exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1799 and 1834 and in 1803 won a Gold Medal for his group of 'The Death of Meleager'. He executed a commission for the House of Commons in 1814 for a monument to General Hay, in Saint Paul's Cathedral. In addition to this large national monument, Hopper's main body of work consisted of numerous busts, statues and other groups in marble, as well as a number of decorative objects in terracotta and plaster, designed for use as supports for candelabra, lamps and clocks.

The present torchre figures are of the same design as two of a set of four Classical Figures sold from the Estate of the 2nd Viscount Camrose (Christie's, Hackwood Park, 20 April 1998, lot 159, 46,000). It is possible that they correspond to four plaster statues probably representing the Muses, made for the Ballroom of the County Hall in Lewes in 1812.
;

More from VEN HOUSE SALE

View All
View All