Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PARCEL-GILT SILVER IMPERIAL PRESENTATION KOVSH
These lots have been imported from outside the EU … Read more
A PARCEL-GILT SILVER IMPERIAL PRESENTATION KOVSH

PROBABLY MOSCOW, 1693

Details
A PARCEL-GILT SILVER IMPERIAL PRESENTATION KOVSH

PROBABLY MOSCOW, 1693
The bowl centring a circular reserve engraved with an Imperial double-headed eagle, the handle engraved with a floral motif, the exterior sides engraved with Old Russian dedication inscription 'By the Grace of God we great Lord Tsars and Great Princes Ioann Alekseevich and Petr Alekseevich of all Great, Little and White Russia, presented this kovsh to Stolnik Kuzma Ivanovich Voevodskii for the development of the town of Dorogobuzh', with the cone-shaped finial, unmarked, the underside of the handle engraved with a date '1693', the base engraved with weight '85 zolotniki'
11 in. (28 cm.) long
11.04 oz. (343.3 gr.)
Provenance
Monsieur Eugène Lubovitch, Paris.
Property of a Gentleman; Sotheby's, Zurich, 22 November 1978, lot 38.
Literature
Exhibition catalogue, Exposition D'Icones et D'Orfèvreries Russes, Brussels, 1931, p. 45, no. 255.
M.Hofmann, 'Argenterie Russe Ancienne de la Collection Eugene Lubovitch,' Paris, 1932, p. 6, no. 7.
Exhibition catalogue, Exhibition of Russian Art, London, 1935, p. 53, no. 158.
Exhibited
Brussels, Exposition D'Icones et D'Orfèvreries Russes, December 1931, no. 255.
London, Exhibition of Russian Art, 4 June - 13 July 1935, no. 158.
Special Notice

These lots have been imported from outside the EU for sale using a Temporary Import regime. Import VAT is payable (at 5%) on the Hammer price. VAT is also payable (at 20%) on the buyer’s Premium on a VAT inclusive basis. When a buyer of such a lot has registered an EU address but wishes to export the lot or complete the import into another EU country, he must advise Christie's immediately after the auction.

Brought to you by

Iona Ballantyne
Iona Ballantyne

Lot Essay

The town of Dorogobuzh, near Smolensk, became part of Russian Empire in 1667. It is known that Kuzma Voevodskii served as a head of Dorogobuzh (voevoda) in 1686.

The design of the Imperial crest with one crown instead of three has been attributed to the work of Polish silversmiths, employed by the Kremlin workshops.  It has been suggested that their works were engraved with this variation of the Imperial crest for a period of twenty years.

More from Russian Art

View All
View All