Humphrey Hopper (d.1841) gained his reputation with the sculpted marble monument to General Hay in St. Paul's Cathedral, commissioned by the House of Commons in 1814. During his broad career he also produced a wide range of decorative functional figures in plaster and terracotta for use as lamp and candelabra supports and also clocks. His mark has been found on candelabra figures dating from 1808. He was commissioned in 1813 through the architect Lewis Wyatt to produced four classical figures for the dinning room niches at Hackwood Park, Hampshire. Aptly so, the figure Ceres was among the group, which consisted of Bacchus, Hebe and Hygeia. For comparative examples see Fine English Furniture, Christie's 16 September 1999, lot 105, and Hackwood Park, Christie's, 20-22 April 1998, lot 159.