Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A REGENCY BRASS-INLAID ROSEWOOD CIRCULAR BOOKCASE
THE PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE COLLECTOR (LOTS 82-87)
A REGENCY BRASS-INLAID ROSEWOOD CIRCULAR BOOKCASE

BY THE WORKSHOP OF LOUIS LE GAIGNEUR AND SIGNED THREE TIMES E. BLACK, CIRCA 1815-20

Details
A REGENCY BRASS-INLAID ROSEWOOD CIRCULAR BOOKCASE
By the workshop of Louis le Gaigneur and signed three times E. BLACK, circa 1815-20
The circular gilt-tooled leather-lined surface with an octagonal hinged door opening to a central well, the pierced, wave-form brass gallery on a beaded frieze, above a conforming case of four recessed bookshelves with adjustable shelving, divided by four brass panels with scrolling inlay, the base with beaded decoration on three brass casters, labeled in yellow chalk 5199 and black paint 58187, the shelves later
30¾in. (78cm.) high, 24¾in. (63cm.) diameter
Provenance
Acquired from John Bly, London

Lot Essay

Designed in the Louis XIV 'antique' manner popularised by George, Prince of Wales, later George IV, this 'Buhl' open bookcase can be attributed to the workshop of Louis Constantin Le Gaigneur (fl. 1814-21) as it is signed 'E. Black', who is thought to have been his apprentice. Although Le Gaigneur's oeuvre is scantly documented, he appears to have worked almost exclusively for the Prince Regent and his most intimate circle, advertising himself as a Metal Bust Maker' and 'French Buhl Manufacturer' from his premises at 9 Queen Street, Edgware Road.

Unusually, perhaps as a result of his Parisian training, Le Gaigneur sometimes signed his work, as can be seen on the bureau plat originally supplied to Brighton Pavilion and now in the Royal Collection at Windsor Castle, as well as on the cylinder-bureau sold by Mr. Edward Sarofim, Christie's London, 16 November 1995, lot 139.
;

More from Important English Furniture including a Selection of Irish

View All
View All