Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A REGENCY ROSEWOOD AND SATINWOOD CARD-TABLE
A REGENCY ROSEWOOD AND SATINWOOD CARD-TABLE

Details
A REGENCY ROSEWOOD AND SATINWOOD CARD-TABLE
The canted rectangular crossbanded hinged top enclosing a green baize-lined interior, above a frieze with geometrical motifs, on two tapering shafts and a canted rectangular plinth, sabre legs and brass paw caps and castors, the underside with 'No107', with label, previously attached to the underside 'His Grace the Duke of Portland K.G. Welbeck Abbey No 107 Repaired by Geo. Trollope & Sons West Halkin St. Belgrave Square Date: 4 5 1901'
29. in. (73.5 cm.) high; 36 in. (91.5 cm.) wide; 18 in. (46 cm.) deep
Provenance
Almost certainly supplied to William Cavendish-Bentinck, 4th Duke of Portland (d. 1854), for Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire and by descent to
William Cavendish-Bentinck, 6th Duke of Portland, K.G. (d. 1943), Welbeck Abbey.

Lot Essay

WELBECK ABBEY
Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire has a complicated history. There is evidence of building from the 16th Century through to the early 20th Century which incorporates designs by Robert Smythson circa 1600, John James circa 1740, and for its drastic reshaping in 1900 by George and Yates. Hans William Bentinck was created 1st Earl of Portland in 1689. The 5th Duke of Portland (d. 1879) intrigued those around him by keeping himself secluded in his appartments and adding to the house by building underground suites of rooms and passages, lit by natural light through huge glass bullseyes by day, and with gas jets inside by night.
THE ORNAMENT
The rich black-figured rosewood table, designed for a window-pier has its rectangular cut-cornered top inset with a golden ribbon of satinwood, edged with Etruscan black ebony. The frieze is centred by a lozenge and pearl-pointed compartment of striated satinwood within a lozenged frame with palm-flowered ends; while the corners are enriched with trophies of darts. The paired herm-pilasters, likewise inlaid with tablet compartments above pearl-cornered triangles, are supported by a rectangular cut-cornered plinth on Grecian-scrolled 'claw' similarly inlaid. The table, was probably originally one of a pair supplied en suite with a central octagonal Loo table.
;

More from English Furniture

View All
View All