Jules Leleu (1883-1961) was both a cabinet maker and decorator. From 1909, he collaborated with his brother, Marcel, to develop his father's painting firm and began producing furniture, and later lamps, carpets and fabrics. After the war, he concentrated on furniture and gradually expanded the family business to Paris, opening showrooms in avenue Franklin Roosevelt and consequently avenue Victor Emmanuel. Jules participated in the annual Salons from 1922 and exhibited his own stand at the 1925 Exposition on the Esplanade des Invalides. His commissions ranged from embassies and ministries to ocean liners, such as the prestigious, Ile-de-France (see Lot 154) and Normandie. The richness of his furniture mainly derives from the materials he used, employing woods such as walnut, macassar, ebony, amboyna and macassar and exotic inlays for marquetry such as ivory, galuchat or horn or extensively lacquering surfaces. The decoration for his pieces was simple, and as this lot illustrates, often relied on the wood grain alone for effect.