With its movement dating from circa 1872-80, and profusely carved with the Romanov double-headed eagle shield and initials of Alexander III, this fine piano was almost certainly supplied to the penultimate Tsar as a gift on the occasion of his coronation in 1881. Alexander's wife, Princess Marie Sophie Frederikke Dagmar (1847-1928) was born the second daughter of King Christian IX of Denmark. However, for most of her life she was known as Maria Fyodorovna, the name she adopted on converting to the Russian Orthodox church immediately prior to her marriage. Alexander III died in 1894 and despite the Revolution in 1917 the Empress Maria at first refused to leave Russia. It was only in 1919, at the urging of her sister Alexandra, that she grudgingly departed. After a brief stay in London, she returned to her native Denmark, choosing as her home her former holiday villa near Copenhagen, where she remained until her death in 1928 at the age of 81. Following services in Copenhagen's Orthodox church, she was interred at Roskilde Cathedral. In 2005, the governments of Denmark and Russia agreed that the Empress's remains should be returned to St. Petersburg, where she will finally be interred next to her beloved husband and rest of the Romanovs in the St Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg. The ceremony will take place from 23 to 28 September 2006. With the present owner confirming that this piano has been in a private collection in Denmark for many years, it seems highly plausible that it was among the furnishings the Tsarina took with her on her exile from Russia.