A SET OF EIGHT GEORGE III MAHOGANY DINING-CHAIRS
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more THE PROPERTY OF THE LATE MRS. MICHAEL BEHRENS SOLD BY ORDER OF THE EXECUTORS (LOTS 52-65)
A SET OF EIGHT GEORGE III MAHOGANY DINING-CHAIRS

THE DESIGN ATTRIBUTED TO JAMES WYATT

Details
A SET OF EIGHT GEORGE III MAHOGANY DINING-CHAIRS
The design attributed to James Wyatt
Comprising six side chairs and two open armchairs, each with waved toprail urns issuing husks and centred by a ribbon-tied patera, above a pierced oval splat of a patera issuing acanthus leaves, the armchairs with outcurved arms and shaped supports edged with beading and headed by carved anthemia, above a padded serpentine seat covered in vert-de-mer velvet, on patera-headed reeded tapering legs and reeded toupie feet, with mahogany rails, some rerailing in mahogany and repairs to legs, one splat replaced (8)
Special notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

These magnificent parlour chairs, veneered in richly-striated mahogany, are designed in the elegant George III antique fashion promoted in the mid-1770s by architects such as James Wyatt (d. 1813). During this period, Wyatt was embarking on his celebrated career in the court Board-of Works, and was involved in several projects in Oxford.

Appropriate to a dining-room and room-of-entertainment conceived in the Roman fashion, their triumphal-arched crests are flowered and enriched in bas-relief with poetic ornament, comprising triumphal laurels festooning bacchic wine-krater urns and sunflowered libation-paterae that are wrapped in Roman acanthus. Their oval medallioned 'vase' splats are fretted with octafoil acanthus foliage issuing from Etruscan pearl-wreathed paterae that display sunflowers recalling Apollo, the poetry deity's love as described in Ovid's Metamorphoses; and also recalling the flowered octagon compartments of the Temple of Apollo illustrated in Robert Woods', Ruins of the Temple of Palmyra, 1753. The pearl-framed arm-trusses are flowered with Grecian palms, while more flowered tablets appear above the columnar legs, which terminate in reed-enriched plinths. The legs are enriched with flutes, and their capitals are strigilated in antique sarcophagus fashion.

Wyatt's contemporary design for the related triple-arched and sunflowered parlour chairs, executed for Sheffield Park, Sussex, survives amongst his album of drawings, owned by the late Vicomte de Noailles (the set of fourteen dining-chairs, previously exhibited in the Lansdowne House Dining-Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, was sold anonymously, in these rooms 11 November 1999, lot 50 (£474,500); the drawing illustrated J. Cornforth, 'In Search of Distinction', Country Life, 23 May 1996, pp. 58-62, fig. 9).
;

More from Important English Furniture

View All
View All