In 1855 Duke Vincenz Auersperg built a ball house for real tennis in the gardens of his palace in Vienna. The ball house was used privately from 1856 until 1867, when Auersperg died. The Royal Geographical Institute rented the house for over ten years, before it was brought back to its original purpose by Duke Franz Auersperg in 1881. As Deputy Director of the Club, Duke Franz Auersperg attracted British diplomats working in Vienna to the club. The above goblet was presented by the Vice President, Duke Edmund Batthyany-Strattmann, in 1882, one year before the Vienna Ball Club was officially founded.