Georges Jacob, maître in 1765.
None of the marks on this suite date from the Louis XVI inventories at Saint Cloud, leading to the probable conclusion that they refer to inventories in the Empire or Restauration period when Napoleon and Louis Philippe embarked on extensive refurbishments of the Château using Louis XVI furniture.
The Château de Saint Cloud, the country house of the Gondi family, was bought in 1658 by Philippe d'Orleans, Louis XIV's brother. He appointed the architect Jules Hardoin Mansart who built one of the most beautiful palaces on the outskirts of Paris. The magnificent park with its much admired fountains was designed by Lenotre. Throughout the 18th century it remained the principal country residence of the Orleans family until it was bought in 1785 by Marie-Antoinette. It later became one of Napoleon's favorite residences and was the site of many important state events until its destruction in 1870.