The bulk grain carrier Sussex Trader was built by Sir J. Laing & Sons at Sunderland for the Trader Navigation Company of London in 1947. The new addition to the existing Trader Fleet of four vessels was registered in London at 4,221 tons gross (2,307 net & 3,685 under-deck) and measured 390½ feet in length with a 54½ foot beam. Powered by a 3-cylinder triple-expansion engine manufactured by the N.E. Marine Engine Company at Wallsend, her boilers were oil-fired and she had tank capacity for 852 tons of heavy fuel. After only seven years under Trader's colours, she was sold to the Malabar Steamship Company of Bombay in 1954, renamed Janani but remained in British registry. Re-registered under the Indian flag in 1957, she was sold for scrapping at Bombay in September 1963.