This sofa table bears the label of the cabinet-makers and upholsterers Mack, Williams & Gibton, who held the court appointment as 'Upholders' to the King's Architectural Board of Works.
The partnership of John Mack, Zachariah Williams and William Gibton traded together from 1810 in Stafford Street, Dublin until John Mack's death in 1829, when Williams and Gibton continued to work together until the death of Gibton in 1842.
The Board of Works was a government board with an appointed architect who was in charge of official architecture. Mack, Williams and Gibton were the principal furniture suppliers to the Board, furnishing the State Apartments and other rooms at Dublin Castle, the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, the Treasury and the Viceregal Lodge (now Aras an Uachtarain). A large hall table and a serving-table by the firm in Dublin Castle are illustrated in A. Alexander, 'A Firm of Dublin Cabinet-Makers, Mack, Williams & Gibton',Irish Arts Review, 1995, pp. 146-147, figs. 12 and 13).