Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
AN OAK TESTER BEDSTEAD
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more
AN OAK TESTER BEDSTEAD

17TH CENTURY AND LATER

Details
AN OAK TESTER BEDSTEAD
17th century and later
The sixteen panel tester with gadrooned cornice and fluted frieze supported by bulbous double foliate-carved columns with square section plinths, the headboard profusely carved and with twin arcaded strapwork panels flanked by male caryarids, initialled to the reverse 'AH 1671' and bearing the remains of the Maples depository label.

83in. (211cm) long, 58in. (148cm) wide, 90in. (229cm) high. See Illustration
Provenance
The Hall Family of Walthamstow, certainly since the late 19th or early 20th century and thence by descent.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
This lot is subject to Collection and Storage charges
Post Lot Text
Essex Hall, recorded on maps on the 18th century as Higham Hall and later Higham Hill was renamed in the early 1800's to reflect the tradition that the Earl of Essex, Queen Elizabeth's favourite, had been given this house by his royal mistress, who visited on her way to royal sport in Epping Forrest.

For thirty years in the early 1800's Essex Hall became famous as an Academy for the Sons of Gentleman, run by Rev. Eliezer Cogan, whose most famous pupil was Benjamin Disraeli.

The house was demolished in 1933; 17th century panelling and an overmantel were rescued and are now housed in Vestry House Museum, Walthamstow, London.
;

More from OAK, COUNTRY FURNITURE, FOLK ART AND WORKS OF ART

View All
View All