This rare and apparently unrecorded clock is closely related to a form of table candelabra attributed to the firm of William Parker. His patent of 28 March 1781 may well refer to this particular type and notes that this was a new method for making 'the pedestals or supports for candlesticks, girandoles, chandeliers, candelabrums, lamps, candle shades, eparns, clocks...' (see Country House Lighting 1660-1890, op. cit., p. 45).
The decoration to the glass is possibly by James Giles, one of the finest 18th Century glass and porcelain decorators. Working from London, and of Huguenot descent, Giles fabricated gilt and enamelled objects in the neoclassical style. Indeed Giles and Parker were strong business associates, with Giles' ledgers between 1771 and 1774 showing purchases totalling £234.7.8 from Parker's glass warehouse (see A. McConnell, 'James Giles' Decoration', The Magazine Antiques, 10 October 2003, pp. 142-151). A set of four candelabra with this patent base are at Chatsworth (see Mortimer op. cit. p. 97, plate 43), recorded in Parker's bill to the Duke of Devonshire of 1782-3.