ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400
ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400
ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400
ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400
3 More
ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400

CADRE

Details
ATELIER DES EMBRIACHI, VENISE OU FLORENCE, VERS 1400
Cadre
os, marqueterie alla certosina de bois et de bois teinté, surmonté d'armoiries, centré d'un médaillon peint du XVe siècle et associé représentant sainte Catherine d'Alexandrie
H. totale 38 cm (15 in.) ; L. totale 23,5 cm (9 1⁄4 in.) ; D. médaillon 10 cm (4 in.)
Provenance
Anton Philips (1874-1951), Eindhoven, puis par descendance.
Post lot text
A CARVED BONE AND MARQUETRY FRAME, EMBRIACHI WORKSHOP, VENETIAN OR FLORENTINE, CIRCA 1400, WITH AN ITALIAN MEDALLION REPRESENTING SAINT CATHERINE OF ALEXANDRIA, 15TH CENTURY

Brought to you by

Pierre Etienne
Pierre Etienne International Director, Deputy Chairman, Old Master Paintings

Check the condition report or get in touch for additional information about this

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

Fondateur de la société Philips electronics, Anton Philips (1874-1951) fut un des plus grands entrepreneurs de la première moitié du XXe siècle. Banquier dans ses plus jeunes années, il rejoignit son frère en 1895 afin de développer l’entreprise familiale de lampe fondée quatre années auparavant à Eindhoven. L’entreprise se développa à l’international et en 1933, la compagnie était la plus importante productrice de radio au monde. Il se retira des affaires en 1939 et partit aux États-Unis durant la Seconde Guerre mondiale pour en revenir en 1945. À son décès en 1951, la Philips Company était l’entreprise électronique la plus prospère, employant plus de 100.000 personnes à travers le monde.

Actif sur le marché des ventes aux enchères, proche des musées internationaux, Anton Philips constitua l'une des plus importantes collections d’œuvres d’art des Pays-Bas. L’inventaire réalisé par Frits Lugt de sa résidence De Laak à Eindhoven en 1928 fait état de tableaux de Brouwer, van Goyen, Hals, van Ostade, Rembrandt, van Ruysdael, van Gogh, etc. rejoints plus tard par d’autres tels Holbein, Bellini, Solario ou encore Greuze. Avec son épouse Anna de Jongh, il collectionna avec passion pendant des décennies, de l’art égyptien à l’art contemporain.




As one of the founders of the Philips electronics company, Anton Philips (1874 - 1951) was one of Europe’s foremost entrepreneurs of his time. Anton Philips first trained as a banker in Amsterdam and London, but in 1895, at the age of 20, he joined his elder brother Gerard Philips to further develop the Philips lamp company, which had been founded in 1891 in the local town of Eindhoven. By 1933 Philips was the world’s largest radio manufacturer. In 1939, Anton Philips resigned as managing director and fled from the war in Europe, living in the United States until 1945. When Anton died in 1951, the Philips company had become one of the leading electronic industries with some 100.000 employees worldwide.

Anton Philips had a very keen interest in art in the widest sense, assembling one of the most important private collections of his time in The Netherlands. He remained well informed about upcoming important international auctions, and close to international museums.
In 1928, an inventory of his house De Laak in Eindhoven was drawn up by the art dealer and collector Frits Lugt. This included paintings by great Dutch 17th Century masters such as Adriaen Brouwer, Jan van Goyen, Frans Hals, Adriaen van Ostade, Rembrandt, Jacob van Ruysdael, until Vincent van Gogh, and later other painters as Hans Holbein, Giovanni Bellini or Jean Baptiste Greuze. With his wife Anna de Jongh, he assembled his collection with passion, from Egyptian art to contemporary art.

More from Maîtres Anciens - Dessins, Peintures, Sculptures

View All
View All