This elaborate pair of bronze gates for the Lake Delavan Yacht Club is an early expression of Wright's geometric abstraction. Wright designed five houses with multiple outbuildings and a yacht club nearby in 1902-1907 for the Oak Park real estate developer Henry Wallis at the South End of Delavan Lake, Wisconsin. The Delavan Yacht Club was raised in 1915, and information on this commission only exists in the book "Lost Wright, Frank Lloyd Wright's Vanished Masterpieces" by Carla Lind (New York, 1996).
The present bronze gates were most likely created for the fireplace that had a distinctive flat-arch opening in the Great Room of the clubhouse. It is interesting to note that the abstracted elongated rectangles punctuated with squares predates related gates that Wright used in the famous Robie house commission of 1908.