Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500
3 More
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500
6 More
PROPERTY FROM A EUROPEAN PRIVATE COLLECTION
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500

A PAIR OF PARCEL-GILT POLYCHROME WOOD ALTARPIECE RELIEFS DEPICTING THE CIRCUMCISION AND THE ADORATION OF THE MAGI

Details
ATTRIBUTED TO HANS KLOCKER AND WORKSHOP (ACTIVE 1482-1500), SOUTH TYROL, CIRCA 1495-1500
A PAIR OF PARCEL-GILT POLYCHROME WOOD ALTARPIECE RELIEFS DEPICTING THE CIRCUMCISION AND THE ADORATION OF THE MAGI
with a 'BUNDES DENKMALAMT / WIEN' sticker and stenciled in black '13'
the first: 30 x 31 ½ in. (76 x 80 cm.); the second: 29 ½ x 33 1/8 in. (75 x 84 cm.)
(2)
Provenance
Sold, Christie’s, New York, June 1, 1994, lot 70.
Literature
C. T. Müller, Gotische Skulptur in Tirol, Innsbruck and Vienna, 1976, figs. 155-159.
R. Kahsnitz, Carved Splendor: Late Gothic Altarpieces in Southern Germany, Austria, and South Tirol, Munich, 2005, pp. 208-221, no. 9.
Sale Room Notice
Please note the additional provenance: sold at Christie’s, New York, June 1, 1994, lot 70.

Condition Report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

The present wood reliefs compare very closely to the figure of Christ on a donkey originally from the Church of the Assumption of Mary in Caldaro, South Tyrol, and today in the Museo Civico, Bolzano. In 1498, Hans Klocker was paid for the creation of the high altar of the same church, now dismembered, together with this Palmesel depicting Christ’s re-entry into Jerusalem. The head of Christ from the Palmesel, with its restrained gesture, sharp-edged and hard facial features echoes those of the present reliefs, particularly figures of two of the Magi facing Christ and the two flanking male figures in the Circumcision relief.
Hans Klocker was first mentioned in a letter of recommendation from the Bishop of Brixen in 1482 as ‘our faithful master Hanns Klöckl, sculptor…highly renowned for the faithfulness and artistry of his work’. Contracts and receipts tell us that the retable at St Leonard in Passeier is his work, as is the high altar at Caldaro and the Franciscan altar at Bolzano, dated to 1500. His surviving output shows that Klocker was one of the finest sculptors working in wood at this period, with an extraordinarily precise and distinctive carving style.
The relief of the Adoration of the Magi is based on an engraving of 1475 by Martin Schongauer. Klocker developed many of his figures after pattern engravings by Schongauer, as did countless other artists of his time.

More from Old Master Paintings and Sculpture

View All
View All