Blickling Hall was the great seat of Sir Henry Hobart, 1st Bt. (d. 1625), who succeeded Thomas Coke as Chief Justice. The architect was Robert Lyminge, the builder of Hatfield. The garden was designed by W.E. Nesfield and Sir Matthew Wyatt and the fountain in the present watercolour is from Oxnead and dates from the 17th Century. It was rented by the same family from 1921-29 and Beatrice Parsons spent one month each summer painting the gardens. The present watercolour may be one of a collection that remained in the family until sold at Christie's, New York, 20 October 1985. For other works by the artist, see lots 136 and 148.