The iron screw steamer Glenturret was built for McGregor, Gow's Glen Line by the London & Glasgow Shipbuilding Co. on the Clyde in 1896. Registered at 4,696 tons gross (3,026 net), she measured 400 feet in length with a 49 foot beam and was engined by her builders for a cruising speed of 12 knots. Completed in September 1896, she gave her owners' twenty-two years of reliable service, during which she survived two separate U-boat attacks in 1917, the first east of the Azores and the second in mid-Atlantic. Barely a year later however, on 26
t h July 1918, she was wrecked in the estuary of the Loire whilst on passage from Buenos Aires to Nantes carrying a cargo of grain.