Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
Circle of William Turner de Londe (fl.1769-1826)
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more
Circle of William Turner de Londe (fl.1769-1826)

The opening of Granton Harbour, Edinburgh, 29 June 1838, with the Duke of Buccleuch's carriage far left

Details
Circle of William Turner de Londe (fl.1769-1826)
The opening of Granton Harbour, Edinburgh, 29 June 1838, with the Duke of Buccleuch's carriage far left
with inscription 'BUCC[LEUCH]/[LI]BERTY' (on a flag, left)
oil on canvas
35½ x 49½ in. (90 x 126 cm.)
Provenance
Sir James Hunter Blair, 7th bt., by 1969.
Literature
F. Russell, 'Confidence and Taste: The Blairquhan Collection', Country Life, 14 August 1986, p.504.
Exhibited
London, The Fine Art Society, September 1969, no.939.19, as by Alexander Carse.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

Walter Francis Montagu-Douglas-Scott (1806-1884), 5th Duke of Buccleuch and 7th Duke of Queensberry, built at his own expense a pier and breakwater at Granton, Edinburgh, on the estate of his house, Caroline Park. He was advised by the lighthouse engineer Robert Stevenson, and the harbour opened in 1838, with work continuing until 1863, creating further breakwaters and quays.

Granton Castle was demolished in the early 20th century, but Caroline Park still stands. In 1921, the house was sold to A.B. Fleming & Co. who owned printing ink works nearby and was used as their Head Office until 1966.
;

More from The Scottish Sale

View All
View All