Browse Lots

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
DEUX PLEURANTS EN ALBATRE SCULPTE PROVENANT DU TOMBEAU DE JEAN DE FRANCE (1340-1416), DUC DE BERRY
" Un Cochin peut errer à travers Paris comme à travers un musée familial " Georges Goyau. L'histoire des Cochin est intimement liée à celle de la capitale depuis trois siècles. Hôpital, rue, place, statue jalonnent la ville et rappellent le dévouement des Cochin, de père en fils, à la gestion et au développement de la capitale. Les uns y furent élus échevins, députés ou maires, d'autres exercèrent leurs fonctions au sein du clergé ou du barreau: créateurs d'asiles (1827), de maisons pour enfants infirmes (1875), ils participèrent activement à la lutte contre l'esclavage dans le monde, à l'amélioration de la condition des ouvriers et à l'implantation de la Croix Rouge en France, en 1868. Jean Denys Cochin (1726-1783), fonde le grand hôpital parisien qui porte encore son nom. Jacques Denis Cochin (1757-1837) avocat, mène quant à lui une carrière politique, étant élu maire du 12e arrondissement de Paris puis député du 7e arrondissement de la Seine. Augustin Cochin (1823-1872), publiciste, administrateur de Saint-Gobain et de la compagnie des chemins de fer d'Orléans. Il préside la ligue anti-esclavagiste (1860), membre de l'académie des Sciences morales et politiques (1864), il est considéré comme un des meilleurs orateurs de sa génération. Son fils, Denys, Baron Cochin (1851-1922), fait également carrière en politique: élu député durant vingt-six ans sans discontinuer, il devint ministre d'Etat dans le gouvernement d'Aristide Briand. Il se distingue rapidement par ses qualités comme le porte-parole de la droite libérale et du Vatican. Sa pensée religieuse le conduit naturellement à apprécier Maurice Denis (1870-1943), qui était convaincu de la nécessité d'une rénovation de l'art religieux en France, et à lui commander un de ses premiers grands cycles: la légende de Saint Hubert. Il épousa, en 1876, Hélène Péan de Saint-Gilles (1857-1946) descendante d'Armand Louis Henri Péan de Saint Gilles, notaire à Paris (1791-1860) dont le père Pierre Henri Péan de Saint Gilles (1757-1823) reçu les pleurants du tombeau de Jean de France par donation en 1807. Denys, Baron Cochin (1851-1922) grand amateur d'art et généreux mécène, constitue une prestigieuse collection consacrée aux peintres français contemporains. Parmi ses toiles figurent notamment des oeuvres signées Corot, Courbet, David, Degas, Delacroix, Goya, Manet ou encore Puvis de Chavannes... Ambroise Vollard dans son ouvrage narre les achats de Cochin et son oeil avisé " M. Denys Cochin achetait pour son plaisir. Toutes ses toiles étaient de premier ordre. Quel musée on créerait avec tout ce qui a passé chez lui " Ambroise Vollard, Souvenirs d'un marchand de Tableau, Albin Michel, Paris, 1984, p. 128). La Première guerre mondiale l'a durement frappé avec la perte de ses deux fils et de son gendre. Il décida de mettre en vente sa collection auprès de la galerie Georges Petit le 26 mars 1919. Le célèbre marchand de tableaux Ambroise Vollard décrit Denys Cochin comme " le type du véritable amateur qui n'escompte pas en achetant un tableau le bénéfice qu'il pourrait faire en revendant " (ibid., p. 124). Il est élu à l'Académie française le 16 février 1911 au fauteuil d'Albert Vandal. Mais l'histoire familiale ne s'arrête pas là, et s'est enrichie jusqu'à aujourd'hui de philanthropes, de scientifiques, de résistants : ils surent tous appliquer leur devise : " Resquiescite vigilo " (repose-toi, je veille), qui résume bien l'esprit de leur action. " For a Cochin, traipsing through Paris is like walking through a family museum " Georges Goyau. Members of a quintessentially Parisian family, known respectably for many years, the Cochin have been a part of the city's landscape for centuries. A hospital, a street and a statue are a testament to the Cochin family's commitment to Paris, from father to son. While some were elected aldermen, deputies or mayors, other Cochin family members joined the clergy or practiced law and founded half-way houses (1827), safe-houses for children with disabilities (1875), actively fought against slavery worldwide, sought to improve the working conditions of manual workers and advocated for the establishment of the Red Cross in France in 1868. Jean Denys Cochin (1726-1783) founded the great Parisian hospital that still bears his name. Jacques Denis Cochin (1757-1837), a lawyer, was elected mayor of the 12th arrondissement and later deputy of the 7th. Auguste Cochin (1823-1872) was a publicist and administrator of Saint-Gobain and the Orlans railway company. During his political career Augustin was president of the Anti-Slavery League (Ligue anti-esclavagiste, 1860), a member of the Academy of Moral and Political Sciences (Académie des Sciences morales et politiques, 1864) and was considered one of the finest orators of his generation. His son, Denys, Baron Cochin (1851-1922) also chose politics: He was elected a deputy for 26 consecutive years and was Secretary of State under Aristide Briand. Denys quickly distinguished himself and was the spokesperson for the liberal right and for the Vatican. His religious leanings brought him to appreciate Maurice Denis (1870-1943) who staunchly believed in the need to change religious art in France, and he commissioned one of the artist's first great cycles: La légende de St. Hubert (The Legend of St. Hubert). In 1876 he married Hélè ne Péan de Saint-Gilles (1857-1946), a descendant of Armand Louis Henri Péan de Saint-Gilles who was a Paris notary from 1791 to 1860 himself the son of Pierre Henri Péan de Saint Gilles (1757-1823) to whom the mourners from the thomb of Jean de France were gifted in 1807. Denys, Baron Cochin (1851-1922), a generous amateur of art put together a prestigious collection of works by Corot, Courbet, David, Degas, Delacroix, Goya, Manet and Puvis de Chavannes to name a few. Ambroise Vollard describes his collaboration with Cochin and writes that "Mr. Denys Cochin bought for pleasure. All of his canvases were top-rate. What a museum we would put together in his home" (Ambroise Vollard, Souvenirs d'un marchand de Tableau, Albin Michel, Paris, 1984, P.128.) The First World War was a devastating blow in which he lost both his sons and son-in-law. On the 26th of March 1919 he decided to sell his collection to the Georges Petit gallery. The famous art dealer, Ambroise Vollard, described Cochin as "the type of amateur who doesn't take into consideration the profit he will make by selling a piece"(Ibid., p. 124). He was admitted to the Académie Française on the 16th of February 1911 filling Albert Vandal's seat. That was only the beginning, however. With every new generation philanthropists, scientists, members of the resistance are born, all of whom lived by their family's motto: "Resquiescite vigilo" (rest and I will watch over you), which sums up the mindset behind their reactions.
DEUX PLEURANTS EN ALBATRE SCULPTE PROVENANT DU TOMBEAU DE JEAN DE FRANCE (1340-1416), DUC DE BERRY

ETIENNE BOBILLET ET PAUL MOSSELMANN (CONNU DE 1441 A 1467), BOURGES, VERS 1450-1453

Details
DEUX PLEURANTS EN ALBATRE SCULPTE PROVENANT DU TOMBEAU DE JEAN DE FRANCE (1340-1416), DUC DE BERRY
ETIENNE BOBILLET ET PAUL MOSSELMANN (CONNU DE 1441 A 1467), BOURGES, VERS 1450-1453
Chacun représenté debout vêtu d'un manteau et d'une pèlerine; l'un barbu, portant son capuchon; le second libéré de son capuchon, restes de dorures; reposant sur un socle en bois sculpté d'époque postérieure
Pleurant encapuchonné barbu: Hauteur: 39,5 cm. (15½ in.) ; Hauteur totale: 44,6 cm. (17 2/3 in.) ; Largeur: 14,7 cm. (5¾ in.) ; Profondeur: 10,2 cm. (4 in.)
Pleurant libéré de son capuchon: Hauteur: 39 cm. (15 1/3 in.) ; Hauteur totale: 43,8 cm. (17¼ in.) ; Largeur: 13,5 cm. (5 1/3 in.) ; Profondeur: 10 cm. (4 in.) (2)
Provenance
Exécutés pour le tombeau de Jean de France, duc de Berry, dans la Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges vers 1450-1453. Déplacés en 1756, sur ordre de l'évêque de Bourges dans la crypte de la cathédrale Saint-Etienne de Bourges.
Dispersion révolutionnaire.
Collection Pierre-Henri Péan de Saint-Gilles (1757-1823) reçu par donation en 1807.
Dans la famille de Denys, Baron Cochin (1851-1922) depuis son mariage avec Hélène Péan de Saint-Gilles (1857-1946) en 1876 puis par descendance jusqu'à nos jours.
Literature
BIBLIOGRAPHIE:
P. Pradel, Nouveaux documents sur le tombeau de Jean de Berry, frère de Charles V, Fondation Eugène Piot, Monuments et Mémoires publiés par l'Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres, tome 49, Paris, 1957, pp. 152-3, fig. 10 et 11. REFERENCES Bourges, Musée du Berry, Une Fondation disparue de Jean de France, duc de Berry, La Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges, B. de Chancel-Bardelot et C. Raynaud, Paris, Somogy eds., 27 juin - 31 octobre 2004, p. 204, no. 44-24 et 44-25.
Dijon, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Les Pleurants dans l'Art du Moyen-Age en Europe, Dijon, 1971, no. 18-19, pl. XXVIII et XXIX.

BIBLIOGRAPHIQUES:
M. Beaulieu et V. Beyer, Dictionnaire des sculpteurs français du Moyen-Age, Paris, 1992, p. 215. B. Bessard, Three Berry Mourners, in Metropolitan Museum Journal, 1968, pp. 171-8.
M. Blanchard, Inventaire sommaire des Archives des Bouches du Rhône.. Comptes des recettes et dépenses de l'argenterie royale, Série B, Chambre des Comptes de Provence, 1451-1454, publication, 1879, p. 350. Fresne de Beaucourt, Bibliothèque Nationale, Ms.fr. 232529, Supplément aux preuves de la chronique de Mathieu d'Escouchy, Ann. Bull. de la Société de l'histoire de France, tome III, p. 11.
A. de Champeaux et P. Gauchery, Les travaux d'art exécutés pour Jean de France, Duc de Berry, 1894.
Christine de Pizan, Livre des faits et bonnes moeurs du sage roi Charles V, Paris, 2013, pp. 145-7. A. Erlande-Brandenburg, Jean de Cambrai Sculpteur de Jean de France, duc de Berry, Fondation Eugène Piot, Monuments et Mémoires publiés par l'Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres, tome 63, Paris, 1980, pp. 153-186.
P. Gauchery, Les Palais du duc Jean et la Saint-Chapelle de Bourges , Mémoires de la Société du Centre, tome 39, 1919, pp. 37-77 et tome 40, 1921, p. 195.
P. Gauchery, Renseignements complémentaires sur la vie et les travaux de Jean de France, duc de Berry, d'après des documents nouveaux, Mémoires de la Société des Antiquaires du Centre, tome 40, 1921, pp. 195-211.
S. Jugie, The mourners, Tomb Sculptures from the Court of Burgundy, The French Regional American Museum exchange, Yale University press, 2010.
S. Jugie, Les pleurants des Tombeaux des Ducs de Bourgogne, Ed. Lannoo, Tielt, 2012.
Lecoy de la Marche, Extraits des comptes Mémoriaux du Roi René, 1873, pp. 56-57, no. 170. A. Le Normand-Romain, Rodin et le Bronze, catalogue des oeuvres conservées au Musée Rodin, RMN, 2007, pp. 212-6.
P. Pradel, Nouveaux documents sur le tombeau de Jean de Berry, frère de Charles V, Fondation Eugène Piot, Monuments et Mémoires publiés par l'Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres, tome 49, Paris, 1957, pp. 141-157.
G. Troescher, Die Burgundische plastik des ausgehenden Mittelalters und ihre Wirkungen auf die Europaische Kunst, Francfort, 1940.
Bourges, Musée du Berry, Une Fondation disparue de Jean de France, duc de Berry, La Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges, B. de Chancel-Bardelot et C. Raynaud, Paris, Somogy eds., 27 juin - 31 octobre 2004.
Dijon, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Les Pleurants dans l'Art du Moyen-Age en Europe, Dijon, 1971.
Paris, Musée du Grand Palais, Les Fastes du Gothiques : le siècle de Charles V, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, 9 oct. 1981- 1 fév. 1982, Paris, no. 111.
Post lot text
A PAIR OF CARVED ALABASTER MOURNERS FROM THE TOMB OF JEAN DE FRANCE (1340-1416), DUC DE BERRY, ETIENNE BOBILLET AND PAUL MOSSELMANN (KNOWN FROM 1441 TO 1467), BOURGES, CIRCA 1450-1453

Brought to you by

Mathilde Fennebresque
Mathilde Fennebresque

Check the condition report or get in touch for additional information about this

Condition report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

L'art gothique apparaît vers 1140-1160, en Ile de France, avant de rayonner à travers toute l'Europe. Au même moment, la sculpture funéraire, témoignage social unique, connaît un développement considérable. L'art gothique manifeste dans ce domaine son esprit inventif en créant le thème du gisant. A l'origine, le gisant ne cherche pas à représenter un personnage mort ou vivant, mais seulement à l'évoquer. Au XIIIème siècle, les traits du défunt sont idéalisés; et ce n'est qu'à partir du milieu du XIVème siècle que le gisant s'efforce de ressembler au personnage de son vivant. C'est sous Jean II le Bon (1319-1364) et Charles V (1337-1380) qu'apparait le goût d'une reproduction très exacte des traits des personnages.

La présence des pleurants sur les tombeaux gothiques n'est pas une nouveauté. Nous en trouvons sur les sarcophages antiques, sur lesquels étaient sculptées des rangées de personnages ou des scènes sous des arcatures. Le motif des arcatures réapparaît dès l'époque romane: les figures représentent alors des apôtres, des saints, des moines, des anges, ou racontent des scènes tirées du Nouveau Testament ou des vies des saints.
C'est au tournant des XIème et XIIème siècles que furent réalisés des monuments funéraires placés hors-sol à l'intérieur des églises, tout d'abord afin d'honorer des personnes décédées depuis longtemps. Puis les monarques et les princes, qui avaient eu tendance à construire des nécropoles familiales, commencèrent à placer au-dessus de leur propre sépulture des monuments destinés à perpétuer leur mémoire. Cette pratique se répandit largement parmi la noblesse et le haut clergé.
Il semble que ce soit dans l'entourage de Saint Louis (Louis IX), au milieu du XIIIème siècle, qu'apparut l'idée de représenter la procession funéraire dans toutes ses composantes et toute son émotion: les premiers tombeaux connus de ce type sont ceux de Philippe Dagobert, frère de Louis IX (d. 1234), et de Louis de France, son fils ainé (d. 1260), enterrés dans l'abbaye cistercienne de Royaumont. Sur le sarcophage de Louis (aujourd'hui à la Basilique de Saint-Denis), la procession débute avec la civière où le corps du défunt se trouve allongé, portée par quatre hommes, et suivie par un défilé de clercs et de laïcs.
Le modèle se répandit partout en Europe de l'Ouest, particulièrement aux XIVème et XVème siècles. En pierre, en marbre, ou en albâtre, on retrouve souvent des pleurants sur les sépultures des personnages de haut rang, comme les papes, les rois, les princes, les cardinaux, les évêques et les abbés. Parfois, ils figurent les membres de la famille du défunt, comme sur le tombeau du pape Clément VI (d. 1352) qui se trouve dans le choeur de l'abbaye de La Chaise-Dieu, ou portent des armoiries familiales.

Le Rôle des Pleurants dans la composition des tombes
Pour s'assurer que les défunts feront partie des Elus le jour du Jugement dernier, les prières des vivants sont indispensables. On comprend alors la fonction des pleurants sur leurs tombeaux, qui évoquent une procession funéraire incluant des personnes de tous les milieux sociaux (clergé séculier, clergé régulier et laïcs), qui pleureront et prieront éternellement pour le salut des défunts.

Les tombes des parents des ducs de Bourgogne
Quand Philippe le Hardi, quatrième fils du roi Jean II le Bon et duc de Bourgogne (1342-1404), commanda son tombeau en 1381, ce modèle de tombeau avec gisant et pleurants n'était pas le seul envisageable. On peut cependant présumer qu'il était considéré comme le plus approprié pour un prince de France. Néanmoins, les tombes de ses frères, à Saint-Denis pour le roi Charles V (d. 1380), et à Angers pour le duc Louis Ier d'Anjou (d. 1384), ont été détruites. Nous ne pouvons donc pas affirmer qu'elles mettaient également en scène des figures de pleurants. En revanche, on sait que Jean de France, duc de Berry (d. 1416), troisième fils du roi Jean II le Bon, a suivi le même modèle que son frère pour la réalisation de son tombeau placé dans la Sainte-Chapelle qu'il a fondée à Bourges. Tous deux importants mécènes de leur temps, Philippe le Hardi et le duc de Berry entretenaient des rapports très étroits et une certaine émulation. Après les pleurants de Bourgogne, le groupe du tombeau de Jean de Berry est le mieux conservé, avec vingt-sept figures connues. Mais il est incomplet et dispersé. Réalisés en deux étapes, la première avant 1438 par Jean de Cambrai et la seconde en 1450-1453 par Etienne Bobillet et Paul Mosselmann, les deux pleurants présentés ici ne sont cependant pas des imitations de ceux des tombeaux de la chartreuse de Champmol (nécropole des ducs de Bourgogne), malgré quelques similarités. A la génération suivante, le roi Charles VI (d. 1422), fils de Charles V, fit également élever une sépulture à pleurants, et les ducs de Bourbon, suivirent aussi ce modèle à Souvigny (Jugie, op. cit., pp. 50-1).

Jean de France, duc de Berry
Troisième fils du roi Jean II le Bon (1319-1364), Jean de France (1340-1416) devint le premier duc de Berry et d'Auvergne en octobre 1360. Après la défaite de Poitiers en 1356, il fut envoyé comme otage en Angleterre, où il resta prisonnier jusqu'en 1367. A son retour en France, Jean de Berry se retrouva à la tête d'un espace politique nouveau et immense, réunissant la ville de Bourges, l'ancien bailliage royal de Berry, les châtellenies de Vierzon, Lury et Mehun-sur-Yèvre, ainsi que les bailliages d'Auvergne et des Montagnes d'Auvergne. De plus, en tant que prince du sang, le duc de Berry prenait part au gouvernement du royaume. Disposant d'un siège au Conseil, il assurait de nombreuses missions diplomatiques et des commandements militaires. C'est ainsi qu'en 1369 il ajouta à son domaine le comté de Poitou, auparavant aux mains des Anglais depuis le traité de Brétigny (1360).
Il épousa Jeanne d'Armagnac, puis, après le décès de cette dernière en 1388, Jeanne de Boulogne (1378-1423). L'une après l'autre, les duchesses assurèrent la présence ducale en Berry, tandis que Jean de Berry effectuait ses missions à l'extérieur de son domaine. En 1380, à la mort de son frère Charles V, il devint l'un des régents du royaume pour son neveu Charles VI encore mineur, et se retrouva encore plus étroitement associé au pouvoir royal. Enfin, à la fin de sa vie, il dut faire face à la guerre civile entre les Armagnacs et les Bourguignons, et la reprise de la guerre de Cent Ans.
Prince fastueux, surnommé Jean le Magnifique, il entreprit une vaste politique de rénovation de ses principaux fiefs. Sur chacun de ses territoires il fit élever un palais urbain, une résidence rurale, et parfois une Sainte-Chapelle ou une chapelle palatiale, comme à Bourges et à Riom. La modernisation des palais ducaux de Bourges et de Poitiers, du château de Mehun-sur-Yèvre et, à Paris, de son Hôtel de Nesles lui donnèrent l'occasion de passer commande à de nombreux artistes. Considéré comme l'un des mécènes les plus prestigieux de son temps, le duc de Berry possédait une fabuleuse collection d'oeuvres d'art et, comme l'avait fait Saint Louis pour la Sainte-Chapelle de Paris, il dota l'institution berruyère d'un véritable trésor. L'ensemble des joyaux, reliques et ornements remis solennellement en mai 1404 par le duc à son conseiller Arnoul Belin, élevé à la dignité de trésorier, comptait plus de trois cents pièces d'orfèvrerie et d'ornement, soit une centaine de plus que le trésor de la Sainte-Chapelle de Paris à la mort de Saint Louis en 1270. Ce trésor a été largement réduit au cours des siècles, les pièces ayant été notamment vendues pour supporter l'effort de guerre, si bien qu'il n'en reste pratiquement rien aujourd'hui. Parmi les chefs-d'oeuvre de ses collections arrivés jusqu'à nous, retenons le reliquaire de la Sainte Epine et la coupe de sainte Agnès conservés au British Museum à Londres. Jean de Berry fut également le premier et le plus célèbre des bibliophiles de France, où le goût des livres a toujours été répandu. Sa bibliothèque comprenait plusieurs centaines d'ouvrages, notamment Les Très riches Heures du duc de Berry, commissionné auprès des frères Limbourg ; ce manuscrit enluminé, décrit comme étant le plus beau de l'époque, est aujourd'hui conservé au musée Condé à Chantilly (Ms 65).
Jean de Berry ayant perdu ses deux fils - Charles en 1382, et Jean en 1397 - le duché revint à son décès à son petit-neveu le dauphin, futur Charles VII. C'est d'ailleurs à Bourges, devenue une brillante capitale régionale grâce au duc de Berry, que le jeune Charles VII put mener la reconstruction du domaine royal, malmené par des années de guerre contre les Anglais.

La Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges.
La première Sainte-Chapelle fut consacrée par Saint Louis à Paris en 1248. Entre le XIIIème siècle et le XVIème siècle, onze autres furent fondées par les rois et princes capétiens. La première mention de la Sainte-Chapelle à Bourges remonte au 17 août 1392, date d'une bulle du pape Clément VII à Avignon, autorisant Jean de Berry à fonder une " chapelle solennelle à l'instar de la chapelle royale de Paris, pour la louange et la gloire de Dieu tout-puissant, de la Vierge-Marie, sa mère, et de tous les saints " (archives du dép. du Cher, 8G 1447, cote N). Le chantier débuta en 1391 sous la direction de l'architecte Drouet de Dammartin, qui avait déjà participé à la construction du Louvre de Charles V auprès de l'architecte Raymond du Temple. La fondation d'une Sainte-Chapelle à Bourges constituait non seulement un acte de légitimation du pouvoir politique, mais soulignait aussi l'appartenance de son duc à la lignée de Saint Louis. Pour appuyer cette ambition, Jean de Berry fonda une véritable réplique de l'institution de Paris, dotée des mêmes privilèges, dépositaire des reliques de la Passion et desservie par un collège apostolique encore plus important qu'à Paris.
La mort de son dernier fils en 1397 anéantit les enjeux dynastiques et politiques de la Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges, le duché étant alors voué à réintégrer le domaine royal. La vocation de la Sainte-Chapelle devint alors essentiellement funéraire, dédiée au salut de son fondateur et à la puissance salvatrice du Christ.
La Sainte-Chapelle était composée d'un vaisseau unique de cinq travées fermé par une abside à trois pans (Chancel-Bardelot, loc. cit., p. 68). L'intérieur de la Sainte-Chapelle mesurait 37,60 m. de longueur sur 11,66 m. de largeur, et 21,50 m. de hauteur. Elle s'élevait sur deux niveaux : un soubassement aveugle était surmonté de très hautes baies divisées en cinq lancettes. Le maître-autel, sous lequel avait été creusé le caveau funéraire destiné à accueillir la dépouille du duc de Berry, se trouvait dans la troisième travée du choeur liturgique.

Histoire du tombeau du duc de Berry
Suivant la tradition de la famille royale de France, le duc de Berry envisagea longtemps avant sa mort la construction de son monument funéraire. Il hésita entre Poitiers, la chartreuse de Vauvert ou la cathédrale de Bourges, avant d'arrêter son choix sur la Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges au plus tard en 1403, selon un document émanant de son frère Philippe le Hardi (Chancel- Bardelot, op. cit., p. 68). Le tombeau devait être composé d'un gisant sur une dalle de marbre reposant sur un soubassement décoré de quarante pleurants sous arcatures.
Sa construction se déroula en deux campagnes, du vivant de Jean de Berry, puis après sa mort sous le règne de son petit-neveu le roi Charles VII (1403-1461). Le nom de l'artiste " ymagier " désigné par le duc pour la réalisation du tombeau, Jean de Cambrai (mort en 1438), élève d'André Beauveneu (mort en 1401), nous est connu de manière certaine, grâce à un document du roi Charles VII, daté de 1449, ordonnant le paiement des héritiers de Jehan de Cambray pour " L'ymaige d'albastre de ladite sépulture qu'ils avoient d'entre eux" (F. de Beaucourt, loc. cit.). Il est admis aujourd'hui que Jean de Cambrai a exécuté le gisant (situé de nos jours dans la cathédrale de Bourges) et cinq des pleurants connus, et qu'il s'est certainement arrêté de travailler à la mort du duc en 1416, faute de paiement. Le gisant et le visage de la sculpture du duc, réalisés par Cambrai, frappèrent certainement l'artiste flamand Hans Holbein (1497/98-1543) lors d'un voyage à Bourges : voulant conserver un souvenir de ce chef-d'oeuvre, celui-ci réalisa sur place un dessin, devenu lui aussi un chef-d'oeuvre.
C'est presque un demi-siècle plus tard, en 1449-50, que le roi Charles VII se chargea d'exécuter les dernières volontés de Jean de France, et ordonna que le tombeau de son grand-oncle soit achevé; mais le nom des artistes nous est laissé en blanc dans les registres. Les Comptes des recettes et dépenses de l'Argenterie du roi René d'Anjou (1409-1480) - petit-fils de Louis Ier d'Anjou, et par là- même petit-neveu du duc de Berry - nous apprennent cependant que celui-ci accorda lors de son passage à Bourges le 15 mai 1453 une gratification de 110 sols " à Estienne Bobillet et Paoul Mosselman, Ymagiers ", qui firent visiter " certain ouvrage qu'il font d'albastre pour la sepulture de feu Monseigneur de Berry " (Blancard, loc. cit). Une indication supplémentaire nous est fournie lorsque le roi René, inquiet de l'avancement de sa propre sépulture à la cathédrale d'Angers, fait chercher " les flamands qui ont besogné en celle de feu le duc de Berry " (Lecoy de la Marche, loc. cit.). Nous savons ainsi que la partie ornementale du tombeau et la grande majorité des pleurants en albâtre veiné dont font partie les deux pleurants ici présents furent exécutées sur ordre de Charles VII par Etienne Bobillet, Paul Mosselmann et vraisemblablement une équipe d'artistes flamands, dont font partie les deux pleurants ici présents.
Le tombeau mesurait 2,95 m. de long ; le soubassement était orné de piliers entre lesquels étaient placés des pleurants. Le gisant du duc était représenté en tenue d'apparat avec une couronne ducale et devait tenir dans sa main gauche un sceptre, disparu avant 1756, et dans sa main droite une banderole qui soulignait le caractère transitoire de la haute naissance et des richesses. Au pied du gisant se trouve un ours, animal emblématique du duc de Berry. Le gisant reposait sur une table de couronnement en marbre noir, sur laquelle une inscription indique qu'elle fut commandée par Charles VII en 1450 et date donc de la deuxième campagne.
La Sainte-Chapelle de Bourges a aujourd'hui disparu. Le 31 juillet 1693, un grand incendie dans les salles du palais ducal brûla la toiture et la charpente de la Sainte-Chapelle. Des travaux de consolidation furent alors réalisés, mais, victime des outrages du temps et d'un ouragan le 18 février 1756, la pointe du pignon et deux travées de voûtes s'effondrèrent. A la demande de l'archevêque et du chapitre, la Sainte-Chapelle fut démolie peu de temps après.
Le déplacement du tombeau dans la crypte de la cathédrale Saint-Etienne de Bourges en 1756 donnèrent lieu à la rédaction d'un procès-verbal de translation par l'ingénieur Trézaguet : il y donne les dimensions exactes du tombeau (dalle de 2,95 m. de long x 1,44 m. de large x 15 cm. d'épaisseur (A. de Champeaux et P. Gauchery, op. cit., pp. 42-3), ainsi que des indications sur son état de conservation. Nous apprenons notamment que le sceptre de Jean de Berry était déjà probablement brisé - car non mentionné - et que certains pleurants avaient déjà disparus - mais sans en préciser le nombre. Une partie de la vitrerie de la Sainte-Chapelle fut remontée dans cette crypte, comme pour rappeler le cadre d'origine qui accueillait le défunt. Pendant la Révolution française, le tombeau subit de graves mutilations. Les pleurants furent dispersés et le soubassement détruit ; seul le gisant en réchappa, toujours conservé dans la crypte de la cathédrale de Bourges, sur sa dalle de marbre noir. Au XIXème siècle, Paul Gauchery réalisa une reconstitution en plâtre du tombeau qui prit ensuite place dans les années 1920 au sein du palais Jacques-Coeur de Bourges. Elle est assez convaincante, même si certains détails ont été imaginés. Les spécialistes se sont ensuite attachés à retrouver les pleurants disparus. Nous pouvons citer notamment Pradel qui publie un article en 1957 réunissant vingt-six pleurants (contre dix-huit auparavant). Puis, en 1972, le musée du Louvre acquit en vente publique un autre pleurant, portant à vingt-sept le nombre de pleurants connus. Ils sont répartis de la façon suivante dans diverses collections publiques et privées:
-Dix au musée du Berry à Bourges dont deux en marbre réalisés par Jean de Cambrai et huit en albâtre; -Quatre en albâtre dans des collections privées et un en albâtre signalé à Bourges au début du XXème siècle et depuis non localisé.
-Deux en marbre au Metropolitan Museum of Art de New York provenant de l'ancienne collection Gassot de Fussy.
-Un en albâtre au musée Rodin à Paris, provenant des anciennes collections Mercier, Romagnesi et Emile Molinier. Acquis par Auguste Rodin le 3 janvier 1917 chez les antiquaires Bacri à Paris, par l'intermédiaire de l'antiquaire Charles Mori.
-Deux au musée de l'Ermitage à Saint-Pétersbourg, un en albâtre et un en marbre provenant de l'ancienne collection Basilewsky.
-Deux en albâtre au musée du Louvre, acquis en vente publique en 1953 et en 1972.
-Un en albâtre à la fondation Custodia à Paris, provenant de l'ancienne collection de Fritz Lugt.
-Quatre dans l'ancienne collection Denys Cochin, dont deux en marbre et les deux en albâtre ici offert.


Analyse stylistique du tombeau
Comme évoqué ci-dessus, Jean de Cambrai (connu de 1375 à 1439) fut le premier sculpteur à avoir travaillé sur le tombeau ducal. Cité sur le chantier de la cathédrale de Cambrai en 1375-76. En 1386-1387 il fut nommé "imagier du duc", et percevait 15 francs par mois. En 1396, l'artiste était logé à Bourges dans une maison appartenant au duc et portait le titre envié de "varlet de chambre de Mgr. le duc de Berry" et en 1401-1402 il est à nouveau qualifié d'imagier du duc. Le 10 janvier 1403, Charles VI, qui avait également accordé le titre de valet de chambre à l'artiste, lui remit l'Ordre de la Gosse de Genêt. Il n'est plus fait mention de l'artiste entre 1403, année de la lettre royale, et 1438, année de sa mort (Beaulieu et Beyer loc. cit.).
Son génie éclate dans la composition de ses oeuvres, dont les formes simples, presque géométriques, disparaissent sous des vêtements rigoureux tombant par grands pans. La figure du gisant qu'il a réalisée, le traitement des drapés, le poil du marbre, le sens du portrait, révèlent ses grandes qualités artistiques. On remarque une simplification dans les volumes du visage : les rides sont indiquées par de simples incisions (A. Erlande-Brandenburg, loc. cit.). La tête repose sur un coussin, sous un chapiteau à jour ; sur l'épaule droite est appuyé un papier déroulé sur lequel on lit : " Quid sublime genus quid opes quid gloria prestent Prospice mox aderant hec michi nunc abeunt " (Gauchery, op. cit., tome. 39, 1919, p. 73). Aux pieds du duc se trouve un ours couché, enchaîné et muselé. Il s'agit d'un unicum, qui renvoie à l'emblématique la plus courante du prince symbole de force et de résurrection, ainsi qu'à sa devise : " Oursine le temps venra ", représentée par trois emblèmes figurés (l'ours, le cygne et son chiffre). Ses emblèmes sont très souvent reproduites dans les bordures des miniatures, dans les manuscrits enluminés et dans d'autres oeuvres d'art ; nous la trouvons notamment ornant la bordure du manteau ducal de Jean de Berry, sous la forme d'un cygne debout, le cou tendu. L'ours, porte-bannière du duc, est omniprésent, notamment dans le décor des manuscrits enluminés et peut être rapproché de saint Ursin, saint patron du diocèse de Bourges. Michel Pastoureau souligne un possible jeu de mots entre " bear " et " Berry " en référence à la captivité du jeune duc en Angleterre (de Chancel- Bardelot et Raynaud, op. cit., p. 136).
Gauchery, dans son chapitre sur le palais du duc Jean et la Sainte Chapelle de Bourges, souligne que le plan primitif du tombeau réalisé par Cambrai a été très bien suivi par Mosselmann et Bobillet, sculpteurs de la seconde campagne " que rien ne jure entre les pleurants des deux époques" (Gauchery, 1919, op. cit. pp. 65). Les cinq pleurants que Jean de Cambrai a exécutés en marbre sont reconnaissables par leur style sobre et leur face arrière lisse et piquetée à la broche pour les faire adhérer à la paroi de la niche par un mortier.
L'équipe de la deuxième campagne a réalisé les autres pleurants, dont vingt-et-un nous sont parvenus aujourd'hui, tous taillés en ronde-bosse dans de l'albâtre. Le choix de ce matériau s'est probablement fait par souci d'économie, car il était moins onéreux que le marbre. Les disparités stylistiques entre les statuettes conservées s'expliquent par le nombre de sculpteurs différents qui faisaient partie de cette seconde équipe. Si nous ne possédons aucun renseignement sur Etienne Bobillet, Paul Mosselmann est quant à lui mieux connu. Il naît à Ypres et meurt en 1467 Rouen. Il est enregistré une première fois en 1441 à la guilde de pierre de Bruxelles. Outre la mention qui est faite de lui sur le chantier du duc de Berry, on sait qu'il travaille notamment pour le chapitre de la ville et réalise vingt-quatre statues de prophètes et d'anges pour la cathédrale, toutes d'un grand naturalisme. Il sculpte également les stalles de la cathédrale Saint-Maclou de Rouen entre 1464 et 1467, année de sa mort. Bobillet et Mosselmann ont réalisé une grande variété dans les attitudes et les vêtements, et se sont pour cela manifestement inspirés des pleurants de Jean de Cambrai et de ceux des tombeaux des deux premiers ducs de Bourgogne, Philippe le Hardi et Jean sans Peur, à la chartreuse de Champmol. La délicatesse de la facture, le traitement des plis, la complication du drapé, les jeux d'ombres insistant sur le côté dramatique de nos pleurants sont des caractéristiques de l'art médiéval et plus particulièrement de l'art berrichon de cette époque. On observe d'ailleurs de très fortes similitudes entre notre pleurant barbu portant son capuchon, et le saint Jean Baptiste du portail de la chartreuse de Champmol. Notre pleurant tonsuré, libéré de son capuchon, présente quant à lui des ressemblances avec un pleurant du tombeau de Jean sans Peur, réalisé par Jean de la Huerta, entre 1443 et 1446 (Pradel, op. cit., figs. 12a-13a). Si l'influence de l'art bourguignon est palpable, Pradel remarque que "la pondération entretenue par l'ambiance et la tradition berrichonnes lui (le sculpteur) ont fait concevoir des draperies plus légères et d'un rythmes plus élè gant et décoratif : il a conservé le canon élancé du XIVème siècle et, en fin de compte (...) il a créé des images qui (...) conservent (...) le reflet de l'art monumental" (Pradel, op. cit., pp. 153-4). Au-delà des pleurants, les dispositions générales du tombeau de Jean de Berry rappellent celles du tombeau de son frère Philippe de Bourgogne, réalisé par Claus Sluter. En effet, le tombeau de Philippe le Hardi est entouré de quarante pleurants prenant place sous des dais supportés par des pilastres. Les statuettes restent dans la pénombre, derrière les saillies et les moulures des pilastres. A Bourges, le plan est simplifié pour mettre plus en avant les pleurants et moins le décor. Les pleurants prennent place sur des piédestaux alternativement ronds et triangulaires et occupent tous une niche particulière. Tous les personnages portent par-dessus leurs vêtements, des manteaux de deuil qui ne diffèrent que par leurs drapés.
Nos deux pleurants sont remarquables de par la richesse de leurs drapés, le traitment des détails et par la variété de leurs poses. Selon Pradel, les pleurants en albâtre de la collection Denys Cochin (présentés ici) "par leur équilibre, leur fierté d'allure, la vigueur de leur facture (...) comptent parmi les plus beaux exemplaires qui nous soient conservés"(P. Pradel, op. cit., pp. 152-4).

Notons que l'un des sculpteurs les plus importants du XXème siècle, Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), fut un admirateur de l'art gothique et fut toute sa vie fasciné par l'architecture des cathédrales. Il écrivit un livre sous le titre Cathédrale de France en 1914 et acquit un des pleurants en albâtre du tombeau de Jean de Berry en janvier 1917. Il garda le pleurant jusqu'à la fin de sa vie, sans qu'il puisse s'en défaire. L'achat du pleurant le lia d'une certaine façon à la sculpture des maîtres des cathédrales. Les figures des pleurants influençèrent grandement son projet le Patriote de Calais notamment dans le traitement des plis des tuniques du groupe des Bourgeois de Calais. En effet, les Bourgeois, tout comme les pleurants et leurs expressions différentes du deuil, représentent les multiples facettes du désespoir de l'homme face à la mort. De plus, l'aspect processionnel de l'oeuvre de Rodin rappelle inévitablement la procession funéraire des pleurants.
Les deux pleurants ici présents provenant du tombeau du duc de Berry sont non seulement d'une importance historique insigne et leur apparition sur le marché de l'art est également un évènement majeur pour les collectionneurs, amateurs et experts. Ils sont demeurés dans la même illustre et honorable famille française depuis 1807.


What is known today as gothic art developed in the region of the Ile de France around 1140-1160, before spreading throughout Europe. At the same time, funerary sculpture, a unique form of social witness, also underwent significant changes. In this area, gothic art showed its inventiveness in the development of the theme of the 'gisant', or effigy. In the early stages of development, the effigy did not attempt a faithful representation of the deceased, but merely an evocation. In the 13th century the features of the deceased were idealised; it is only from the mid 14th century that the effigy became a more faithful representation of the person being commemorated. It was in the reigns of Jean Le Bon (1319-1364) and Charles V (1337-1380) that there emerged a desire to reproduce the features of the deceased with greater accuracy.

The Motif of the Mourning Figure in Funerary Art
It was in the 11th and 12th centuries that one first sees the emergence of tombs erected above ground in the interiors of churches, initially to honour those who had been deceased for many years. This was followed by monarchs and princes - who had long had the tradition of constructing family mausolea - who began to place monuments above their own graves, destined to perpetuate their memory. This practice was further expanded throughout the nobility and the high clergy.
It appears that it was in the entourage of Saint Louis (Louis IX), in the middle of the 13th century, that the idea to represent the funeral procession with all its components and all its emotions first emerged. The first tombs of this type were those of Philippe Dagobert (d. 1234), brother of Louis IX, and of Louis de France, his eldest son (died 1260), buried at the Cistercian abbey of Royaumont. On the sarcophagus of Louis (today in the basilica of St Denis) the procession begins with the litter on which the corpse lay, carried by four men and followed by a queue of clerics and laity.
The concept spread throughout western Europe, particularly in the 14th and 15th centuries. In stone, marble and alabaster one often finds pleurants - or mourning figures - on the tombs of important men such as popes, kings, princes, cardinals, bishops and abbots. Occasionally they depict family members of the deceased, as on the tomb of Clement VI (died 1352; found today in the choir of the Abbey de La Chaise-Dieu), or carry family coats of arms.

The Role of Mourners in the Composition of Tombs
In order to be assured of a place among the elect at the time of the Last Judgement, the prayers of the living were an indispensible factor for the deceased. One therefore understands the necessity of mourners on their tombs, figures arranged in a funeral procession including members of all social spheres (secular and religious clergy as well as the laity), who cried and prayed eternally in memory of the deceased.

The Tombs of the Family of the Dukes of Burgundy
When Philippe le Hardi (1342-1404), duke of Burgundy and fourth son of King Jean Le Bon, commissioned his tomb in 1381, the form composed of an effigy and mourners was not the only one available. Nevertheless, it was probably considered to be the most appropriate for a prince of France. However, the tombs of his brothers, King Charles V (died 1380; tomb at St Denis) and Louis d'Anjou (died 1384; tomb at Angers) were destroyed. One cannot, therefore, be certain that they also incorporated mourning figures. On the other hand, we do know that Jean de France, duc de Berry (died 1416) the third son of King Jean Le Bon, followed the same model as his brother when constructing his tomb, placed in the Sainte-Chapelle which he had founded at Bourges. Both patrons, Philippe Le Hardi and the duc de Berry had a very close relationship. After the mourning figures of Burgundy, the group from the tomb of Jean de Berry is the best preserved, with 27 figures known. However, it is both incomplete and widely dispersed. Realised in two stages, the first before 1348 and the second in 1450-1453 by Etienne Bobillet and Paul Mosselmann, the two present figures are not imitations of those on the tomb at 'la chartreuse de Champmol', despite certain similarities. In the following generation, King Charles VI (died 1422), son of Charles V, also commissioned a tomb with mourning figures, and the Dukes of Bourbon at Souvigny, also followed this form (Jugie, op. cit., pp. 50-1).

Jean de France, duc de Berry
Third son of King Jean II Le Bon (1319-1364), Jean de France (1340-1416) became the first duke of Burgundy and Auvergne in October 1360. After the defeat at Poitiers in 1356, he was sent as a hostage to England where he remained a prisoner until 1367. On his return to France, Jean de Berry found himself in control of immense holdings, reuniting the city of Bourges, the ancient royal bailiwick of Berry, the regions of Vierzon, Lury and Mehun-sur-Yèvre, as well as the bailiwicks of Auvergne and the Montagnes d'Auvergne. In addition, being a prince of the blood, the duc de Berry took part in the government of the kingdom. With a seat on the council, he was assured of numerous diplomatic missions and military commands. It was in this way that in 1369 he added to his possessions the county of Poitou, which had been under the control of the English since the Treaty of Bretigny in 1360.

He married Jeanne d'Armagnac and then, after her death in 1388 Jeanne de Boulogne (13478-1423). Both women ensured the ducal presence in Berry while Jean de Berry carried out various missions outside his territories. In 1380, on the death of his brother Charles V, he became one of the regents of the kingdom for his nephew Charles VI, still a minor, and found himself even more closely associated with royal power. Finally, at the end of his life, he had to face civil war between the Armagnacs and the Burgundians, and the resumption of the Hundred Years War.

A resplendent prince - he was nick-named 'Jean le Magnifique' - he undertook an enormous policy of improvements to his principal fiefdoms. In each of his territories he built a city palace, a rural residence and sometimes a Sainte-Chapelle or a palace chapel as at Bourges or Riom. The modernisation of his ducal palaces at Bourges and Poitiers, of the château of Mehun-sur-Yèvre and, at Paris, of his Hôtel de Nesles gave him the opportunity to commission numerous artists. Considered one of the most prestigious patrons of his time, the duc de Berry possessed a fabulous collection of works of art and, as Louis IX had done for the Sainte-Chapelle at Paris, he endowed the chapel at Bourges with a veritable treasure. The collection of reliquary jewels and ornaments, solemnly handed over to his advisor Arnoul Belin, who was elevated to the dignity of Treasurer, numbered more than 300 pieces of goldsmith's work, that is to say 100 more pieces than existed in the treasury of the Sainte-Chapelle at Paris at the death of Saint Louis in 1270. This treasury has been largely reduced over the centuries, sold notably to support war efforts, so that today practically nothing remains. Among the masterpieces that have come down to us today one can count the Reliquary of the Holy Thorn and the Cup of St Agnes now in the British Museum in London. Jean de Berry was also the most celebrated bibliophile in France, where the taste for books has always been widespread. His library comprised several hundred works, notably the Très Riches Heures du duc de Berry, commissioned from the Limbourg brothers. This illuminated manuscript, described as being the most beautiful of the period, is today in the collection of the musée Condé at Chantilly (MS 65).

Jean de Berry lost his two sons - Charles in 1382 and Jean in 1397 - and on his own death the duchy reverted to his great-nephew, the Dauphin, the future Charles VII. It was therefore from Bourges, which had become a brilliant regional capital thanks to the duc de Berry, that the young Charles VII was able to begin the reconstruction of the royal domain which had suffered from years of war against the English.

The Sainte-Chapelle of Bourges
The first Sainte-Chapelle was consecrated by Saint Louis in Paris in 1248. Between the 13th and 16th centuries eleven others were founded by Capetian kings and princes. The first mention of the Sainte-Chapelle at Bourges appeared in a papal bull of Clement VII at Avignon on 17th August 1392, authorising Jean de Berry to found a 'solemn chapel following the example of the royal chapel at Paris for the praise and glory of God Almighty, of the Virgin Mary, his mother, and of all the saints (Cher archives, 8G 1447, side N). Work began in 1391 under the direction of the architect Drouet de Dammartin, who had participated in the construction of the Louvre of Charles V alongside the architect Raymond du Temple. The foundation of the Sainte-Chapelle at Bourges constituted not only an expression of political power, it also emphasised the affiliation of its duke with the lineage of Saint Louis. To underline these assertions, Jean de Berry erected a virtual replica of the edifice in Paris, endowed with the same privileges, depository of relics of the Passion and served by an apostolic college even larger than the one at Paris.

The death of Jean de Berry's last son in 1397 ended the political and dynastic function of the Sainte-Chapelle of Bourges, with the duchy destined to be re-integrated into the royal domain. The purpose of the Sainte-Chapelle therefore became funerary, dedicated to the memory of its founder and the saving power of Christ.

The Sainte-Chapelle was composed of a single nave with five bays terminating in a three-sided apse (Chancel-Bardelot, op. cit., p. 68). The interior was 37.6m long, 11.66m wide and 21.5m high. It consisted of two levels: a blind foundation level surmounted by very tall bays divided into five lancets. The high altar, beneath which was the crypt destined to receive the remains of the duc de Berry, was situated in the third bay of the liturgical choir.

History of the Tomb of the Duc de Berry
Following the tradition of the French royal family, the duc de Berry had contemplated his funerary monument long before his death. He had hesitated between Poitiers, the charterhouse of Vauvert or the cathedral at Bourges, before deciding on the Sainte-Chapelle at Bourges no later than 1403 according to a document from his brother, Philippe le Hardi (Chancel-Bardelot, op. cit., p. 32). The tomb was to be composed of an effigy on a slab of marble on a substructure decorated with 40 mourners under arches.

The construction was carried out in two campaigns, during Jean de Berry's own lifetime and, after his death, in the reign of his great-nephew Charles VII (1403-1461). The name of the artist - or 'ymagier' - appointed by the duke for the realisation of the tomb was Jean de Cambrai (died in 1438) the pupil of André Beauneveu (died in 1401). This is known due to a document from Charles VII, dated 1449, ordering payment to the heirs of Jean de Cambrai for 'the alabaster image of the said tomb which they acknowledge between them' (F. de Beaucourt, loc. cit.). Today it is accepted that Jean de Cambrai executed the effigy (today in Bourges cathedral) and five of the known mourning figures, and that he certainly stopped working on the death of the duke in 1416 when payment would also have stopped. The effigy and the face of the sculpture of the duke executed by Cambrai certainly struck the Flemish artist Hans Holbein (1497/8-1543) during a trip to Bourges: wanting to preserve a souvenir of this masterpiece, he executed a drawing which has itself become a masterpiece.

It was almost a half century later, in 1449-50, that the king, Charles VII, took it upon himself to carry out the last wishes of Jean de France, and ordered that the tomb of his great-uncle should be finished. However, the names of the artists are blank in the registers. The Accounts of Revenues and Expenditures of Silverware of King René of Anjou (1409-1480) - grandson of Louis I of Anjou, and through him great-nephew of the duc de Berry - inform us that during his visit to Bourges on 15 May 1453, King René paid a gratuity of 110 'sols' 'to Estienne Bobillet and Paul Mosselman, 'ymagiers' who showed the king 'certain work that they had done in alabaster for the tomb of the late Monseigneur de Berry' (Blancard, loc. cit.). A further indication is supplied when King René, unhappy about the progress of his own tomb at Angers cathedral, sought 'the Flemings who worked on that of the late duc de Berry' (Lecoy de la Marche, loc. cit.). One therefore deduces that the ornamental part of the tomb and the majority of the mourning figures in veined alabaster were executed on the order of Charles VII by Etienne Bobillet and Paul Mosselmann, and probably a team of Flemish artists. The two mourning figures offered here form part of that commission.

The tomb measured 2.95m long; the substructure was adorned with pillars between which were placed the mourning figures. The effigy of the duke depicted him wearing ceremonial dress with a ducal crown and holding a sceptre in his left hand - missing from before 1756 - and a banner in his right hand which stressed the transitory nature of high birth and wealth. At the feet of the effigy was a bear, emblematic animal of the duc de Berry. The effigy rested on a slab of black marble on which was an inscription indicating it has been commissioned by Charles VII in 1450 and therefore dating from the second campaign.

Today, the Sainte-Chapelle of Bourges has disappeared. On 31 July 1693 a large fire at the ducal palace burned the roof and the frame of the Sainte-Chapelle. Consolidation work was carried out but it gradually became a victim of the vicissitudes of time and of a hurricane in 1756. The point of the gable and two bays of vaulting collapsed on 18th February in that same year. At the request of the archbishop and of the chapter, the Sainte-Chapelle was demolished shortly after.

The transfer of the tomb to the crypt of Saint Stephen's Cathedral at Bourges gave rise to the drafting of a report by the engineer Trezaguet; he gave the exact dimensions of the tomb: the slab was 2.95m long, 1.44m wide and 15cm thick (A. de Champeaux and Gauchery, op. cit., pp. 42-43), as well as indications of its state of conservation. Notably, one learns that the sceptre was probably broken off - it was not mentioned - and that certain mourning figures had already disappeared, although the exact number is not known. A part of the stained glass from the Sainte-Chapelle was remounted in the crypt in order to reflect the original setting which welcomed the deceased. During the Revolution, the tomb was badly damaged. The mourning figures were dispersed and the substructure was destroyed; only the effigy escaped, today housed in the crypt of the cathedral at Bourges on its slab of black marble. In the 19th century Paul Gachery effected a plaster reconstruction of the tomb which was later housed in the heart of the Jacques-Coeur palace in Bourges in the 1920s. It is quite convincing, even if certain details are imagined. Specialists have subsequently dedicated themselves to finding the missing mourning figures. One notes in particular Pradel who published an article in 1957 reuniting 26 mourning figures (as opposed to 18 known previously). Then in 1972, the musée du Louvre acquired a new figure, bringing the number of known mourning figures to 27. They are distributed in public and private collections as listed below:

- ten at the musée de Berry in Bourges, of which two in marble executed by Jean de Cambrai and eight in alabaster
- four in alabaster in european private collections and one in alabaster, noted in Bourges at the beginning of the 20th century but subsequently unlocated - two in marble in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum, New York (formerly Gassot de Fussy collection)
- one in alabaster in the musée Rodin, Paris (formerly in the Mercier, Romagnesi and Molinier collections; acquired by Auguste Rodin 3 January 1917 from the dealers Bacri in Paris through the intermediary Charles Mori)
- two in the Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, one in marble and one in alabaster (formerly Basilewsky collection)
- two in alabaster in the musée du Louvre, Paris, acquired at public auction in 1953 and 1972
- one in alabaster in the Fondation Custodia, Paris (formerly Fritz Lugt collection)
- four in the Denys Cochin collection, two in marble and two in alabaster offered here


Stylistic Analysis of the Tomb
As noted above, Jean de Cambrai known from (1375-1439) was the first sculptor to have worked on the ducal tomb. In 1386-87 he was called 'imagier du duc' and received 15 francs per month. In 1396, the artist was lodged in Bourges in an apartment owned by the duke and carried the desirable title 'varlet (valet) de chambre of Mgr. le duc de Berry', and in 1401-1402 he is confirmed 'imagier du duc'. On 10 January 1403, Charles VI, who had also given the title of 'valet de chamber' to the artist gave him the Order of the 'Gosse de Genet'. The artist is not mentioned again between 1403, the year of the royal letter, and 1438, the year of his death (Beaulieu and Beyer, loc. cit.).

His genius manifests itself in the composition of his works, in which simple, almost geometric, forms of the body disappear under the drapery, falling in large folds. The effigy which he has created, the treatment of the drapery, the fur carved in marble, the sense of the portrait all reveal his great artistic qualities. One notes the simplification of the volumes of the face; the wrinkles are indicated by simple incisions (Erland-Brandenburg, loc. cit.). The head rests on a cushion under a pierced capital. On his right shoulder rests an unfolded paper on which one reads 'Quid sublime genus quid opes quid gloria present Prospice mox aderanthec michi nun abeunt' (Gauchery, op. cit., 39 1919, p. 73). At the feet of the duke lies a bear, chained and muzzled. It is a unicum which refers to the most current emblem of the prince, symbol of power and resurrection, as well as his motto 'Oursine le temps venra', represented by three emblems: the bear, swan and his monogram. Hi emblems are very often reproduced in the borders of miniatures, in manuscripts and in other works of art: one finds it notably on the border of the ducal mantle of Jean de Berry, represented by a standing swan, his neck extended. The bear, standard-bearer of the duke, is omnipresent, notably in the decoration of manuscripts, and can be associated with Saint Ursin, patron saint of the diocese of Bourges. Michel Pastoreau underlines the possible word game between 'bear' and 'Berry' in reference to the captivity of the young duke in England (Bardelot and Raynaud, op. cit., p. 136).
Gauchery, in his chapter on the palace of the duke and the Sainte-Chapelle at Bourges notes that the simple plan of Cambrai's tomb has been very well followed by Bobillet and Mosselmann, sculptors of the second campaign, 'so that nothing separates the mourners of the two eras'(Gauchery, 1919, op. cit. pp. 65). The five mourners that Jean de Cambrai executed in marble are recognisable from their sober style and their flat reverses chipped with a chisel in order to facilitate their attachment to the rear wall of each niche with mortar.

The team from the second campaign created the other mourners, of which 21 are known to us today, all carved fully in the round and in alabaster. The choice of this material is probably due to concerns over cost, because it is less difficult to carve than marble. The stylistic differences between the statuettes can be explained by the number of different sculptors who formed part of this second team. If one has no information about Etienne Bobillet, Paul Mosselmann is better known. He was born in Ypres and died in 1467 in Rouen. He first appears in the registry of the stonemason's guild of Brussels in 1441. Apart from the reference to him at the work site of the duc de Berry, we know that he worked for the chapter of the city and executed 24 statues of prophets and angels for the cathedral, all very naturalistic. He also sculpted the stalls of Saint Maclou at Rouen between 1464 and 1467, the year of his death. Bobillet and Mosselmann produced a great variety in the postures and clothing of the mourners and in this way they have clearly been inspired by the mourners of Jean de Cambrai and by those on the tombs of the first dukes of Burgundy, Philippe le Hardi and Jean sans Peur, at the charterhouse at Champmol. The delicacy of the facture, the treatment of the folds, the complexity of the drapery, the play of shadows which creates the dramatic nature of our mourners are characteristics of medieval art and particularly of art in the region of Berry. Moreover, one observes strong similarities between the bearded mourner offered here with the St John the Baptist from the portal of the Charterhouse at Champmol. The present tonsured mourner has similarities with a small figure from the tomb of Jean Sans Peur, executed by Jean de la Huerta between 1443 and 1446. If the Burgundian influence is palpable, Pradel notes that 'the balance maintained between the ambiance and the tradition of Berry has made him (the sculptor) create drapery that is lighter and with a more elegant and decorative rhythm: he has kept the slender canon of the 14th century and, at the end of the day (...) he has created images which conserve (...) the reflection of monumental art' (Pradel, op. cit., pp. 153-4). Apart from the mourners, the general disposition of the tomb of Jean de Berry recalls that of the tomb of his brother, Philippe of Burgundy, executed by Claus Sluter. In effect, the tomb of Philippe le Hardi is surrounded by 40 mourners placed below a dais supported by pilasters. The statuettes stay in the half-light, behind the projections and mouldings of the pilasters. At Bourges, the plan is simplified in order to emphasise the mourners rather than the decoration. The mourners stand on pedestals which are alternatively round and triangular and each occupy their own niche. Over their clothes, each of the figures wears a mourning cloak which differs from the others only in the folds of the drapery. According to Pradel the alabaster figures from the Denys Cochin collection are 'by their balance, their proud bearing, the vigour of their facture (...) among the most beautiful examples that have survived (Pradel, op. cit., pp. 152-4).

Let us also note that one of the most important sculptors of the 20th century, Auguste Rodin (1840-1917) was an admirer of gothic art, and was fascinated by the architecture of the cathedrals all his life. He wrote a book with the title Cathédrale de France in 1914, and acquired one of the alabaster mourners from the tomb of Jean de Berry in January 1917. He kept the mourner for the remainder of his life, never wanting to be without it. The purchase of the mourner linked him in one way to the sculpture of the masters of the cathedrals of France which had a large influence on his project for the Patriote de Calais, particularly in the treatment of the folds of the tunics of the Bourgeois of Calais. In effect, the 'bourgeois', like the mourners with their different expressions of grief, represent the multiple facets of man's desperation in the face of death. Furthermore, the processional aspect of Rodin's work inevitably recalls the funeral procession of the mourners.

Coming from the tomb of the duc de Berry, the two present mourners are not only of distinguished historical importance, but equally their appearance on the art market is a major event for collectors, amateurs and experts. They have remained in the same honourable and illustrious family since 1807.

More from Le goût français - Arts décoratifs du XIIe au XIXe siècle

View All
View All