The view depicted is the Oude Schans, Amsterdam, with the Rechtboomsloot to the right, the Korte Koningsstraat to the left and the Oude Kerk in the left background. The Oude Schans was originally a part of an old vestinggracht, or moat, that was constructed in 1516 for the defense of the Lastage outside the city walls. After the city expansion of 1593, the schans - the earthworks before the moat - lost its defensive role and became known as the "Old" schans or Oudeschans (see J.H. Kruizinga & J.A. Banning, Amsterdam van A tot Z, Amsterdam, 1966, pp. 365-6).