Ludlow Castle was built circa 1085 either by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury, or Roger de Lacy. Its positioning with steep cliffs to the River Teme on the west side and to the River Corve on the north side made it a strong fortress in the Middle Ages. It was a popular retreat for the Tudor monarchy and Arthur Prince of Wales, elder son of Henry VII, died there. In the late 15th Century, the castle became the seat of the Lords President of Wales and their Court of the Marches. It was one of the strongest castles in the Welsh Marches and the town prospered in its shadow. The cloth trade flourished here and the 12th Century church was built almost entirely by the burgesses of the town.