After her father died in 1913, Eva, her mother and three sisters moved from Hamwood, the family house, to Lower Dominic Street in Dublin. While living in Dublin she and her sister Letitia managed to get to Holland and they both exhibited Dutch paintings in Dublin in 1915. The next year they moved to Monasterevan to the Agent's house on the Moore Abbey estate. Both sisters painted in and around the town especially on the banks of the Royal Canal. The cast-iron drawbridge in the present picture was constructed in 1829 and is of similar construction to many bridges Eva would have seen in Amsterdam.