" f " : In addition to the regular Buyer’s premium… Read more


Moyen-Yuat, Bas-Sépik, Papouasie Nouvelle-Guinée, 1600-1890 (95.4 de probabilité)
Hauteur: 106 cm. (41¾ in.)
Pourrait avoir été collectée par E.A. Wisdom, administrateur colonial en Nouvelle-Guinée de 1921 à 1933
Collection du Savage Club, Melbourne
Marcia et John Friede, New York
Collection Jolika, Fine Arts Museums de San Francisco, deYoung
Museum, inv. no. 2006.73.1, Don de Marcia et John Friede (acquis en partie avec les fonds de la Evelyn A.J. Hall Charitable Trust).
Johnson, J., Laughter and the Love of Friends: A Centenary History of the Melbourne Savage Club 1894-1994 and a History of the Yorick Club 1868-1966, Melbourne, 1994, p.160, pour une carte postale datée de 1960
Friede, J.A. et al (ed.), New Guinea Art: Masterpieces from the Jolika Collection of Marcia and John Friede, San Francisco, 2005, Volume 1, p.169, Volume 2, cat. No.140
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, deYoung Museum, San Francisco, 15 octobre 2005-14 février 2013
Special notice

" f " : In addition to the regular Buyer’s premium, a commission of 7% (i.e. 7.385% inclusive of VAT for books, 8.372% inclusive of VAT for the other lots) of the hammer price will be charged to the buyer. It will be refunded to the Buyer upon proof of export of the lot outside the European Union within the legal time limit.(Please refer to section VAT refunds)
Post lot text
The Savage Club, whose name is borrowed from an eighteenth century poet, Richard Savage, was founded in Melbourne in the late nineteenth century. Advocating a "bohemian" spirit, the first president of the Club, Dr. Harvey E. Astles, selected the members according to their interest in fields as diverse as music, art, theater, science and literature. Today the "Savages," these gentlemen of modern times, are always found in this elegant Victorian mansion.

The Jolika Biwat figure was acquired from the Club in February 1977. This was a time of great financial hardship, made worse by new laws which required to them to modernize their building, creating fire exits, for instance, which required heavy and expensive renovation.

The Club's archives do not specify at what date this object entered their rooms, nor who gave it. During its existence over the years, the circle was offered by its members many personal and decorative objects that would constitute the soul of the Savage Club. In the 1930s, thanks to improved communication and transportation, a number of travel souvenirs from the center of Australia, Asia, Africa and Oceania were offered to the Club. Joseph Johnson, who published the Club's memoirs (1994), mentions a few names of gentleman who gave to the Club. While there are no precise records, a possible source of the figure is E. A. Wisdom, who became a "Savage" in 1934 and gave gifts in 1938. He was an Australian administrative officer in New Guinea between 1921 and 1933. It is precisely during this decade that almost all Biwat statues of this type were collected by Wauchope and Bateson.
An amusing detail, the Jolika Biwat sculpture is shown on the Club's 1960 Christmas card, in a photo montage created by Jack Cato, a member of the Club.

Exceptional examples of the celebrated style of Biwat (Mundugumor) sculpture are rare, and more rare still are these tall roof figures, such as the present one from the Jolika Collection.
Thanks to new research by Christian Coiffier (personal communication, March 2013), we have more clues as to their provenance.
In a relatively well-known photograph formerly believed to have been from the Korrigane (see Coiffier, 2001 p.21; and Rubin, 1984 vol 1, p.115) , there is a cache of Biwat figures on a beach. However, the Korrigane never went to this part of the Sepik, Yuat, River-regions, but this photograph somehow found its way to their records. Coiffier later recognized several of the tall figures in the back row which are now in the Australian Museum (inv nos. E.46362, E.46360, E.46361; see Specht, J., 1988, cover), and were likely collected by an Australian farmer living in New Guinea, E. J. Wauchope in the late 1920's. Wauchope is likely the photographer, or the Western man in the image.
This collecting information is consistent with the other, perhaps most closely related figure to the Jolika Biwat, now in the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge University, given to the Museum by Gregory Bateson in 1930. Bateson does not list further collecting data, but Firth, as early as 1936 states the village as Avatip (in Firth, 1936) [with thanks to Rachel Hand at the MAA for this information]. However, Avatip was a sort of cross roads in this Yuat River region, where the cache was gathered rather than their village of origin. We know further that Wauchope and Bateson knew one another, and it seems Wauchope may have hosted him in New Guinea (in Chinnery, 1998, p.33), which offers further connection to the Cambridge and Australian Museum figures. Another important figure in this corpus, now in the Barbier-Mueller Museum (inv. no.4007) was also in the Speyer Collection by 1930. From this, the association to Wisdom and a 1920's collecting date places the Jolika Biwat in this same circle.

The Jolika Collection Biwat figure, by Robert L. Welsch

Biwat carvings are among the most mysterious carved objects made and used by New Guineans in their ritual lives. A number of them have entered private collections and museums. Some are carved and painted, while others - the celebrated flute stoppers, for instance, can be quite heavily ornamented. Margaret Mead spent a few months among the Biwat or Mundugumur people on the Yuat River in 1932 together with her second husband, Reo Fortune. She published a photograph of a heavily ornamented stopper in an essay on masks and ritual in Natural History (1934). This object was given to her during her fieldwork and is now in the American Museum of Natural History. Other flute stoppers in museum collections are, like this figure, stripped down to the carved wooden figure and some pigments. The Jolika figure, with heavy emphasis about the head with a diadem at the crown, an expansive forehead, furrowed brow and large eyes and glowering mouth, resembles several of the known flute stoppers in style, more so than than it does any of the large, full-sized figures such as the figure in the Beyeler Foundation, Riehen or the great figure of the god Ambossangmakan in the Museum der Kulturen, Basel.
Most of the rituals practiced by the Biwat or Mundugumor people have never been observed first hand by foreigners. The Biwat had abandoned their initiation ritual, and most other rituals, about 1930, planning never to hold them again. Mead and Fortune commissioned a performance of the flute initiation rituals in the autumn of 1932. In her field notes, Mead described the ritual that they observed in some detail (see Nancy McDowell's, The Mundugumor, Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991, pp.130-152). Mead (1935, p.181ff) also wrote about the initiations in Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies (New York, Morrow) and in a brief 1934 article "Tamberans and Tumbuans in New Guinea" (Natural History 34, pp.234-246).
The only other significant early observations of Biwat art in situ come from Father Karl Laumann, a Roman Catholic priest based at Kanduanum Mission station on the Sepik River not far from the mouth of the Yuat. In his pastoral work Laumann visited most of the villages along the lower and middle Yuat River, where he observed a number of large carved figures that stood taller than a man. In the early 1950s Laumann published several of these photos in his two articles in Anthropos ("Vliss, der Kriegs- und Jagdgott am unteren Yuat River, Neuguinea," 47(5/6), pp.897-908, 1952, and, "Geisterfiguren am mittleren Yuat River in Neuguinea," 49(1/2):27-57, 1954.).
It is clear from both Mead and Laumann's accounts that despite anthropomorphic and animal imagery in some of these various Biwat carvings, it seems fairly certain that all of these carved figures represent either Bush or River spirits rather than human or animal spirits or ghosts. Spirits can sometimes take human or animal form among the Biwat, but the spirits themselves are neither human nor animals. This distinction between river and bush reflects the key distinction found in nature in the Biwat region. People were clearly dependent upon both the bush and the river for their basic needs for food and shelter. When they clear a patch of forest for gardens or a settlement they know this is a temporary human space that will eventually be overrun by either the encroaching bush or a flooding river. These two powerful forces are symbolized by the two distinctive kinds of spirits. Unfortunately for modern collectors, we cannot unambiguously associate any of the Biwat carvings as either bush spirit or river spirit unless the carving resembles a crocodile-placing it squarely in the river Spirit realm. Bush spirits are more ambiguous.
As Laumann (1952) suggests they are especially important in providing strength and success in war and hunting. Ultimately, such figures must be controlled to promote human health, prosperity and social order in the civilized space of the village, as appears to be the role of the Jolika roof figure.
Very few of these tall roof figures, such as the Jolika sculpture, exist; the others we know are found in Museum collections with the most closely related figure with respect to stylistic qualities and age is that in the University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge (inv. no1930.487), collected by Gregory Bateson in 1930 (see Schmitz, 1971, pl.93). Another related figure is in the collection of the Barbier-Mueller Museum (inv 4077), formerly in the collection of Arthur Speyer, Berlin and then L. and E. Eckert-Voegelin. The adornment on each of these figures demonstrates that at one time the Jolika Collection would have been decorated with fiber and feathers around the nose and at the crown of the head.
In his comments about the Barbier-Mueller figure, Christian Kaufmann (in Peltier and Morin, 2007, pp.132-33 and 416) elucidates on the probable allegorical function of these tall roof figures. With the elongated and protruding heads, they were clearly carved to be seen from below. We can recall the Renaissance sculptures which Donatello created for Il Duomo with this same, sophisticated criteria of perspectival illusionism in mind. According to Kaufmann (op.cit., 416) 'If we refer to the myth recounted in the neighbouring village of Kinakaten, the man's squatting position strikes the author as implicitly referring to the scene where Bilishoi, the ancestral hero, once again malevolent after leaving his sisters and village of origin, kills the men who are building a ceremonial house. Obliged to defend himself from their attacks with bows and arrows, he takes refuge on the roof ridge of the house. He repels the spears with his elbows but is finally hit by one of them, propelled by a man from the Sepik with the help of a spear-thrower. His body is boiled, then eaten by those he had attacked (McDowell, ibid., p.159). This effigy revived the memory of death through war and the fate of a man too powerful to respect social rules.'

Brought to you by

Chloé Beauvais
Chloé Beauvais

Lot Essay

Le Savage Club, dont le nom est emprunté à un poète du XVIIIème siècle, Richard Savage, fut fondé à Melbourne à la fin du XIXème siècle. Prônant un esprit "bohème", le premier président du Club, Dr Harvey E. Astles, sélectionnait les membres de ce cercle fermé en fonction de leur intérêt dans des domaines aussi variés que la musique, l'art, le théâtre, la science et la littérature. Aujourd'hui les "Savages", ces gentilshommes des temps modernes, se retrouvent toujours dans cette élégante demeure victorienne.

La statue biwat de la collection Jolika fut acquise auprès de ce Club en février 1977. Ce dernier avait à l'époque de grandes difficultés financières qui s'aggravèrent d'autant plus qu'une nouvelle loi lui obligeait de se munir d'une sortie de secours, impliquant des travaux lourds et coûteux.

Les archives du Club ne précisent pas à quelle date cet objet a fait son entrée dans leurs salons, ni quel membre le lui avait donné. Au cours de son existence, le cercle s'est vu offrir par ses membres de nombreux objets décoratifs et personnels qui allaient constituer l'âme du Savage Club. Dans les années 1930, grâce à l'amélioration des moyens de communication, terrestres et maritimes, un certain nombre de souvenirs de voyage provenant du centre de l'Australie, d'Asie, d'Afrique et d'Océanie lui furent donnés.

Joseph Johnson, qui a publié les mémoires du Club (1994), évoque la liste des gentlemans ayant offert des objets au cercle. Bien qu'il n'y ait aucune mention particulière, l'origine éventuelle de cette oeuvre pourrait être E. A. Wisdom qui donna un ensemble d'objets en 1938. Devenu "Savage" en 1934, ce dernier avait été administrateur en Nouvelle-Guinée pour le compte de l'Australie entre 1921 et 1933. Or c'est précisément au cours de cette décennie que presque toutes les statues biwat de ce type furent collectées par Wauchope et Bateson.

Détail amusant, la sculpture biwat de la collection Jolika figure sur la carte de voeux de Noël 1960, un photomontage réalisé par Jack Cato, l'un des membres du Club.

Les oeuvres exceptionnelles du peuples biwat (mundugumor) sont rares, et bien plus encore les grandes statues de faîtage comme celle de la collection Jolika. Grâce aux nouvelles recherches de Christian Coiffier (communication personnelle, mars 2013), la provenance de ces objets commence à se dessiner. Dans une photographie connue, longtemps attribuée aux membres de La Korrigane, (voir Coiffier 2001, p.21, et Rubin, 1984, vol.1, p.115), se distingue un groupe d'oeuvres biwat immortalisées sur une plage. L'équipage de La Korrigane ne s'étant jamais rendu dans cette région du Sépik, sur la rivière Yuat, il est surprenant que ce cliché ait été retrouvé dans ses archives. Il est probable que cette image leur ait été donnée lors de leur passage en Nouvelle-Guinée. Coiffier est parvenu à identifier un certain nombre des grandes statuettes que l'on aperçoit en arrière-plan et qui sont aujourd'hui conservées à l'Australian Museum de Sydney (inv.E.46362, E.46360, E.46361, voir Specht, J., 1988, couverture). Elles furent certainement collectées par E. J. Wauchope à la fin des années 1920. Ce dernier est soit le photographe soit l'occidental qui apparait sur le cliché. Cette information correspond également à la provenance d'une autre oeuvre comparable, particulièrement similaire à celle de la collection Jolika, faisant partie de la collection du Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Université de Cambridge, et qui fut offerte au musée par Gregory Bateson en 1930. Bien que ce dernier n'ait pas recueilli plus d'informations quant à la collecte de l'objet, Firth, dès 1936, indique que l'objet fut acquis dans le village de Avatip (in Firth, 1936) (nous remercions Rachel Hand du MAA pour cette information). Cependant, ces objets n'étant pas originaires d'Avatip, sorte de carrefour dans la région Yuat, ils avaient certainement été rassemblés ici. Nous savons également que Wauchope et Bateson se connaissaient, et il semblerait que Wauchope l'aurait même hébergé en Nouvelle-Guinée (in Chinnery, 1998, p.33), ce qui offre de nouvelles perspectives de connections entre les statues de Cambridge et de Sydney. Une autre statue faisant partie du corpus, peut-être la plus célèbre, conservée au Musée Barbier-Mueller (, faisait partie de la collection de Speyer depuis 1930. A partir de ces données, il est tout à fait probable que Wisdom soit à l'origine du don de la statue biwat au Savage Club, puisqu'il était lui-même sur le terrain à la même époque.

La statue biwat de la collection Jolika, par Robert L. Welsch

Les sculptures biwat font partie des objets sculptés les plus mystérieux que produisent et utilisent les néo-guinéens au cours de leur vie rituelle. Un grand nombre de ces objets sont entrés dans des collections privées et dans des musées.

Certains sont sculptés ou peints, tandis que d'autres - comme les célèbres bouchons de flûte, peuvent recevoir de nombreux ornements. Margaret Mead passa plusieurs mois avec son second mari, Reo Fortune, parmi les Biwat ou les Mundugumor près de la rivière Yuat en 1932. Dans son essai sur les masques et les rituels (in Natural History, 1934), elle publia une photographie d'un bouchon portant de lourds ornements. Cet objet lui avait été offert pendant son voyage de recherches et est aujourd'hui conservé à l'American Museum of Natural History. D'autres bouchons de flûte présents dans les collections ont été déshabillés, laissant apparaître le bois et les pigments d'origine, comme c'est le cas de la sculpture présentée ici.
La sculpture de la collection Jolika, caractérisée par une tête surdimensionnée, un diadème surmontant son crâne, un front dégagé, de larges yeux cernés de noir et une bouche menaçante, possède un style comparable à plusieurs bouchons de flûte connus, qui sont plus proches que des sculptures de tailles similaires comme celle de la Fondation Beyeler, Riehen, ou l'importante sculpture du dieu Ambossangmakan au Museum der Kulturen de Bâle.

La plupart des rituels pratiqués par les Biwat ou les Mundugumor n'ont jamais pu être observés par les étrangers. Les Biwat avaient abandonné leur initiation rituelle et la plupart de leurs coutumes dans les années 1930, pensant ne jamais avoir à les pratiquer de nouveau. A l'automne 1932, Mead et Fortune ont commandé une performance de flûte lors d'un rituel d'initiation. Dans ses notes, Mead décrit en détail le rituel qu'ils ont pu observer (voir Nancy McDowell's, The Mundugumor, Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991, pp.130-152). Elle (1935, p.181ff) a également écrit à propos des initiations dans Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies (New York, Morrow) et dans un bref article daté de 1934 "Tamberans et Tumbuans in New Guinea" (Natural History 34, pp.234-246).

Les autres observations significatives sur l'art biwat, réalisées sur place proviennent du Père Karl Laumann, un prêtre roman catholique situé à Kanduanum Mission sur la rivière Sépik, non loin de l'embouchure du fleuve Yuat. Dans sa mission pastorale, Laumann rendit visite à la majorité des villages bordant le Bas et le Moyen-Yuat, où il rendit compte d'un grand nombre de sculptures qui dépassaient la hauteur d'un homme. Au début des années 1950, Laumann publia plusieurs de ces photos dans deux articles dans Anthropos ("Vliss, der Kriegs- und Jagdgott am unteren Yuat River, Neuguinea," 47(5/6), pp.897-908, 1952, et, "Geisterfiguren am mittleren Yuat River in Neuguinea," 49(1/2), pp.27-57, 1954).
D'après les notes de Mead et de Laumann qui décrivent les images anthropomorphes et zoomorphes de la sculpture biwat, il parait évident que ces objets sculptés représentaient plutôt des esprits de la rivière ou de la forêt, et non pas des esprits humains ou animaux ni des fantômes. Les esprits peuvent prendre une forme d'humains ou d'animaux chez les Biwat, mais les esprits eux-mêmes ne sont ni humains, ni animaliers. Cette distinction entre la rivière et la brousse reflète la plus grande différence présente dans l'environnement des Biwat. Les Biwat dépendaient entièrement de ces deux éléments pour leurs besoins élémentaires, se nourrir et s'abriter. Lorsqu'ils dégagent un coin de forêt pour créer des jardins ou établir des campements, ils savent pertinemment que cet espace humain est éphémère et qu'il sera bientôt recouvert par une brousse envahissante ou une crue de la rivière. Ces deux puissantes forces sont symbolisées par deux esprits distincts. Malheureusement pour les collectionneurs de notre temps, il est impossible d'associer les sculptures biwat à des esprits de la forêt ou de la rivière, à moins que la sculpture ne prenne la forme d'un crocodile, permettant aisément de l'associer à un esprit de la rivière. Les représentations des esprits de la forêt sont plus ambiguës.

Comme l'indique Laumann (1952), ces sculptures sont très importantes pour la guerre et la chasse puisqu'elles apportent force et succès. Enfin, ces sculptures doivent être maîtrisées afin de garantir la santé, la prospérité et l'ordre social dans les espaces civilisés du village, ce qui parait être le rôle de la figure de faîtage de la collection Jolika.

Il existe très peu de ces grandes figures de faîtage. Les autres exemplaires connus sont conservés dans des collections muséales, la plus proche, par son style et son ancienneté, étant celle qui se trouve à l'University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology de Cambridge (inv. no.1930.487), collectée par Gregory Bateson en 1930 (voir Schmitz, 1971, pl.93). Une autre sculpture comparable se trouve dans la collection du Musée Barbier-Mueller (inv.4077) et avait appartenu à Arthur Speyer (Berlin) et par la suite à L. et E. Eckert-Voegelin. Les décorations présentes sur chacune de ces figures indiquent que la sculpture de la collection Jolika aurait également reçu des ornements de fibres et de plumes autour du nez ainsi qu'une couronne sur la tête.

Dans ses commentaires à propos de la sculpture de Barbier-Mueller, Christian Kaufmann (in Peltier et Morin, 2007, pp.132-33 et 416) explique que ces grandes figures de faîtage avaient probablement une fonction allégorique. Avec des têtes allongées et saillantes, elles avaient été sculptées pour être vues par en-dessous. Ceci n'est pas sans nous rappeler les sculptures réalisées par Donatello pour Il Duomo qui comportaient les mêmes modifications anatomiques permettant de s'adapter à la perspective. Selon Kaufmann (op.cit., 416) "Si l'on se réfère au mythe recueilli dans le village de Kinakaten, et qui met en scène Bilishoi, nous pouvons probablement saisir une allusion à l'image de cette sculpture. La position accroupie de l'homme se réfère implicitement à la scène où Bilishoi, redevenu malveillant après avoir quitté ses soeurs et son village d'origine, tue des hommes en train de construire une maison cérémonielle. Contraint de se défendre contre les hommes qui l'attaquent avec leurs arcs et leurs flèches, il se réfugie au faîte de la maison. Avec ses coudes, il dévie les lances mais est finalement atteint par l'une d'elles, envoyée à l'aide d'un propulseur appartenant à un homme originaire du Sépik. Son corps sera bouilli puis mangé par ceux qu'il vient d'agresser. (Mc Dowell, ibid., p. 159). Cette effigie ranimait la mémoire sur l'origine de la mort due la guerre et sur le destin d'un homme trop puissant pour respecter les règles sociales."

More from Collection Jolika, chefs-d'oeuvre de Nouvelle-Guinée provenant des Fine Arts Museums de San Francisco

View All
View All