Bryan Donkin applied Appert's discovery of a method for preserving foods to tin containers instead of glass jars, and in about 1812 established a factory for the preparation of canned foods at Blue Anchor Road, Bermondsey. The firm's brochure of 1817, included above, contains flattering testimonials from Wellington, Admiral Cochrane, Sir Joseph Banks and others. The Navy took supplies of the "preserved provisions." Ross took some of the cannisters with him to the far North in 1814, and subsequent Arctic expeditions came to rely increasingly on Donkin, Hall & Gamble's tinned foods. However, they were more expensive than fresh food, and for the most part ordered by the navy and eaten at sea (see Drummond & Wilbraham, pp. 377-78).