The steel screw steamer Aldgate was built by Richardson, Duck & Co. at Stockton in 1892. Ordered by H.W. Dillon of London, she was registered in London at 3,380 tons gross (3,226 net) and measured 340½ feet in length with a 42 foot beam. Engined by G. Blair & Co. of Stockton, she also carried a simple schooner rig on her two masts and was rated 100A1 by Lloyd's when she entered service. Replaced by a new steamer of the same name in 1903, she was presumably sold by Dillon's and renamed.