The yacht Royal Charlotte, 232 tons, was built at Deptford and launched in 1749. Ship-rigged and constructed as a sixth-rate, her Keel was 72 feet long, she mounted 103pdr. guns and carried a crew of 70 men. Originally named Royal Caroline (after George II's wife), she was renamed Royal Charlotte in honour of George III's bride on 27 July 1761 and shortly afterwards brought the future Queen to England for her marriage. Royal Charlotte served as the principal royal yacht for over fifty years but gradually fell into disuse on the completion of Royal Sovereign in 1804 and was finally broken up in 1820.