This lot is sold with the original invoice.
Commissioned on 18 November 1927 by the present owner's grandparents, the red lacquered cabinet mounted with the silvered bronze plaque was completed and delivered to Monsieur Nicolle and his family in June 1928 at a cost of 17,850 FF. The Nicolles, who manufactured textiles near Lille, lived in the 'Château de Lomme' that was bombed and nearly destroyed during World War II. The cabinet decorated the castle's salon amongst other important furnishings by Ruhlmann that included a Macassar ebony example of the 'Ambassade' desk and two 'Collectionneur' armchairs resting on a fine wool carpet by the designer (see period photograph). Some pieces of furniture, including the cabinet, were saved when they were relocated to the family's nearby cotton mill by the present owner's grandmother.