With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1953 and its subsequent sale on July 16th of the following year.
The present reference 2497 is a fine example of 1950's Patek Philippe style, with downturned and stepped lugs and elegantly refined dial design. It features generous case proportions and strong definition, and the dial has an appealing and warm off-white luster. Coming from an important private collector, only the second owner of this watch, it was acquired in the late 1990's and serviced once at Patek Philippe in Geneva.
Reference 2497 was introduced in 1951, along with the more complicated reference 2499, which featured a chronograph as well as perpetual calendar. They replaced the references 1526 and 1518, which were known and recognized for their Calatrava-style cases and 1940's look. While the reference 2499 featured a caliber 13''' movement, the same as the reference 1518, the reference 2497 featured a center seconds hand, which was a first for the watch market. The caliber 27 SC was upgraded with Patek Philippe's patented perpetual calendar mechanism, and an estimated total of 179 movements were made in total, numbering 888'000 to 888'178.
Examples of reference 2497 are illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by M. Huber & A. Banbery, second edition, pages 285 & 287.