This is almost certainly the painting originally known as The Western Hills which Paul Henry exhibited at the Hackett Galleries in New York in the spring of 1930. It is dated 1925-30 on stylistic grounds and on the assumption that it was recently painted when sent to New York in the latter year.
The original owner of the painting, Mary Harriman Rumsey, ran the Museum of Irish Art in New York in the early 1930s. The museum, which was a centre for Irish culture in the heart of New York, evolved out of the Irish Theatre of Art Rooms, which had also been the brainchild of Mrs Rumsey. Under the management of Patric Farrell and, nominally, George Russell (AE), who was the honorary director of its 'art rooms' the museum represented Irish artists who were previously handled by the Hackett Galleries, which closed in 1932.
We are very grateful to Dr. Brian Kennedy for preparing the catalogue entries for lots 223, 225, 227 and 228.